Trying to Mess Up Light Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vuarra

Reaction score
Extract - Trying to Mess Up Light Ale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No, but 1 hour of hydration
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 9.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 2
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30 days @ ~65*F
Tasting Notes: Will post when tasted.

I made an ale that was supposed to be about how easy it is to make beer. Turns out, since I was completely sober, I made enough mistakes to cause the purists to scream in terror.

Water: ~3 USG
Heat to Boil
Add 1.333 kg (2.939 lb) Pale LME
Wait to boil
Add 0.5 oz Saaz hops (60 minutes)

in this time, sanitize the carboy and anything else that might come in contact with beer.

Add 1.333 kg Maltose syrup to carboy. If you cannot get that, no reason not to use another ~3 lb of pale LME. Just note that it will change the colour significantly.

Add 0.5 oz Saaz hops (7 min)

Flame out.

Cool. I used cold water in my sink, rinse and repeat. I also *deliberately* added tap water to replace that which had boiled off.

Add cooled wort to carboy. Add water. Swear like an idiot, and hope that the yeast will fit in the headspace that I should have left.

Put airlock on carboy, and put in cool place for a few weeks.

This recipe should work nicely for anyone.

Just little things that I kept on thinking, "Gee, if I had announced that on HBT, people would be saying I was inviting infection." Too many to list, and after a few days, most of which I have forgotten... *sigh*. I was actually trying to post a simple beer that would taste okay, especially since most of the recipes in the recipe section are at least partial grain.

I am actually glad this got moved out of the main recipes...

Back