Trying to get a simple nottingham recipe in this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I have one more chance to brew on Saturday! I am going to try and ferment with nottingham, since I know my fermentation closet is at 63 right now stable (I dont have a way to warm it). I've already made Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale, so I was considering this recipe called the Innkeepers Friend

My only worry there is Im not sure if my LHBS will have the UK Pilsen LME, or both types of the goldings.

Any help or alternate recipes would be appreciated.

My LHBS doesn't carry Fuggles either, but I've used Willamette as a substitute and it works well. My interpretation of your recipe using domestic or stuff your LHBS should have goes like this:

Special Bitter-EX

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.008
IBU: 36
SRM: 9.2
ABV: 4.4%
60 minute boil
5 gallons pitching volume

Steeping Grains (154F for 30 min)
4 oz Biscuit Malt
4 oz Crystal 120L
1 oz Black Patent Malt

Extract
4 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME (30 minute boil)
1 lb Briess Pilsen Light DME (10 minute Boil)
8 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (Flameout)

Hops
1 oz Willamette (60 minutes)
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (30 minutes)
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (5 minutes)

Yeast
1 pkg Danstar Nottingham Yeast (Rehydrated per package)

Should be pretty quick and painless.

No problem. If you want to up the OG/flavor a bit you could add an extra ounce or two each of the biscuit and crystal 120L malts (I'd leave the black malt at 1 oz, however), but this should make a good, middle of the road bitter.

I know that people often warn of overdoing it on crystal. When does a crystal addition start to be 'too much'. What would the difference be in adding to the biscuit vs the crystal (I am assuming the crystal will be more neutral?)

On 120L it's generally accepted not to go past 15% of the total grain bill and only hitting the 15% mark if you want a pretty sweet, burnt-sugar taste to it (like in a sweet stout, for instance). You're at about 4% on this, but I probably wouldn't go more than 5% in this recipe (about 5 oz). The reason is that it can get a little cloyingly sweet if you use too much, especially given the fact that your base malts are pilsen and you want to do a bitter anyway.

As far as more of one than the other it's really a matter of personal preference on your part (you're the artist, after all ;-) ). If you like your beer to have a maltier taste then maybe do 5 oz biscuit to 4 oz Crystal or vice versa if you prefer a more caramel background. I'd suggest keeping it balanced, make the recipe and see what changes you would prefer in future versions if you decide to make it again.

Back