Trying to fill 3 5 gal cornies at once from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SankePankey

Reaction score
OK, my fermenter is a Sanke, but it has corny posts on it so what I'm trying to do is fill 3 kegs at once counter-pressure. This is in stead of filling one at a time on a scale or something to approximate fill level.

I was thinking of having the liquid out connected to some sort of manifold like this:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=223

so, a one in/3 out into 3 cornies. Then on the gas outs from the cornies do the same with a 3 in/one out manifold fed it into a spunding/bleeder valve. The manifold would operate in the reverse direction as in a kegerator, so I guess would need to not have the check valves in place.

Do you think this would work? They would have to all fill at exactly the same rate so one wouldn't over fill.

Thanks.

I think an easier way to do it would be to run the Cornies in series.

From the 1/2 bbl tank run a hose to the outlet of the first cornie. Then the inlet of the first cornie to the outlet of the 2nd. Same thing to the third. On the inlet of the third, install a bleeder valve to release the pressure slowly.

That way you will be sure they are all filled.

Good luck.

Probably a dumb question, but why not just fill one at a time? Beer is ~8lbs a gallon, so put the cornies on a scale and fill them until they weigh 40 lbs.

I think an easier way to do it would be to run the Cornies in series.

That way you will be sure they are all filled.

Maybe easier, but I'm not sure better. I would think that having zero headroom in the keg would make equalizing difficult. And, wouldn't you get brewkake in your face every time you tried to tap a corny post? Backup into the gas lines 'n such? I don't know since I haven't done it yet, but I was just assuming that would be a problem with that. Can you set the record straight if you do it this way?

Probably a dumb question, but why not just fill one at a time? Beer is ~8lbs a gallon, so put the cornies on a scale and fill them until they weigh 40 lbs.

To me that's the 2nd easiest idea. I will have about 13~14 gal beer to keg so I want to have equally filled kegs for the afore mentioned reasons. But if I can get all the kegs to fill at the same time at the same level with carbed beer, that sounds like the easiest way of all. But they would have to fill right or it wouldn't work.

Thing is, I was just thinking that a couple manifolds would be cheaper than buying a scale, and easier only if it worked.

I guess no one does this, so i'll have to try it out for myself. I had asked this on a different thread previously and got mostly "give it a try and let us know".

Thanks for your responses.

Back