Trying my hand at open fermentation by necessity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
So I was in the process of chilling my wort last night when I realized I don't have a proper fermenter to put it in because a wine has been monopolizing my carboy for like a month now. So I go into McGuyver mode and end up using a trash bag masking taped around the top of my bottling bucket. Think it'll turn out like crap? I might head to the homebrew shop and get a lid for that bucket but then again... I might just let it ride and see how it turns out. What do you guys think? :mug:

What kind of beer? The trash bag should be fine, so long as it doesn't come in contact with the wort/beer and you put a small hole in it to release the CO2 pressure as it builds. Personally, I would probably use a towel over the top up until fermentation begins to slow.

I don't remember which forum it was (don't think it was HBT) but a lot of guys used cling wrap and some sort of elastic (some used the o-ring from a bucket lid) on their fermentation buckets. The seal wasn't air tight so they didn't put a hole in the cling wrap. I'm not sure if they sanitized the cling wrap or not seeing as how it was coming right off the roll and is supposed to be food safe.

One of the benefits over a standard bucket lid was the ability to look into the bucket.

It's a Kolsch. I didn't put any holes in it but I very seriously doubt that my masking tape job is anywhere close to air tight, LOL. I also didn't sanitize the bag but I can't imagine there was a whole lot of contamination on a completely unused bag. I guess I'm throwing caution to the wind but I've never been the paranoid type when it comes to brewing.

I'll rack it to a keg as soon as it ferments out well. I think the yeast is WLP001? Not a true Kolsch yeast unfortunately but it was all the brew shop had. As long as it makes some good summertime easy drinking beer I'll be happy.

When I first started brewing about 20 years ago this is how I fermented albeit I used a daisy chain of rubber bands and safety pins in place of the masking tape.
I would just dip the entire bag in iodophor. Never had an infection.

Back