Trub taste in ladt brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Be done a few batches now. My last brew kinda tasted like trub. It wasn't real cloudy but had a little yeasty taste for an ipa. It sat in the fermenter for a month so I thought everything would have steeled to the bottom.

The reason I don't leave my beers in primary for a month is for that exact reason- a "trub" taste that I can pick up on.

Some people like the flavor of a long primary, and do it routinely. I do not. I normally leave the beer in the fermenter about 10-14 days or so, as that is long enough for the beer to finish fermenting, go trough the "clean up" process, and to clear.

If you try leaving the beer in the fermenter for a shorter time, maybe you'd be like me and prefer the flavor of that.

Ok I'll try that. Thanks! I usually do it from laziness but also I don't drink them very fast and run out of bottled. I bought kegs I just need to
And my keeper

I leave all my brews in primary for 3 to 4 weeks, but don't have a "trub" or yeasty taste. Give your bottle conditioned beers some extra time in the fridge and it might help. I've heard people suggest a week, but I can get away with two days.

+1 to Uziyahu

I have left beers in primary for 4 months before (not regularly, but it has happened a couple of times over the years). In both of these cases, I didn't end up with any 'yeast' or 'trub' flavor. I think it's probably likely that you pulled up some trub by accident when you were racking the beer to the bottling bucket.

I would give the beer a week or so chilling--this will probably improve the flavor.

Back