Trouble washing Abbey yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdoc

Reaction score
Is it possible? I decanted, and got the same percentage of dead/alive cells as before washing. I even took a sample from the trub layer after washing and got the same dead/alive ratio. I usually wash after propagating, and my results have been iffy.

Even when I washed pacman yeast (way more floculant then abbey), I had trouble getting a good cell count/viability after decanting. Finally, with the pacman, I estimated what the growth might have been after propagation, hopefully pitched enough cells....

More often than not, I will put 90% viable cells on a stir plate with some fresh wort, and the next day, viability will be below 50% (supposedly, I don't know how acurate m.blue is when viability drops). Wort is from previous brew day, after nutrients added.

When can I expect to get the best results from washing? after propagation? after the yeast has separated from the spent wort? mixed with fresh wort, then decanted? There seems a few different ways to skin this cat.

Back