Trois Pistoles Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalliewader

Reaction score
I've searched, and what little there is on this beer is pretty old.

I've seen a few people claim that the yeast in the bottle is a different strain from the yeast used at fermentation. But, I've never found any proof that this is in fact the case.

The fermentation strain is Wyeast 3864 iirc.

Does anyone know if the strain in the bottle is different?

I harvested from a bottle and would love to make a clone, but not sure if I have the correct yeast. If the yeast in the bottle is in fact different, I'll get the Wyeast and save this strain for bottling.

Yeah I didn't read all of your original post, sorry about that. I just noticed you had a different stain posted so I found you the strain guide. I'm not sure if it is bottled with a different strain.

Yeah, on Mr.Malty's page it say that's is Unibroue's strain:

Yeast Strains

Right, but I've seen a few unconfirmed posts saying the yeast in the bottle is a different strain that they use for bottle fermenting. Trying to figure out if that really is true.

I've seen a few people claim that the yeast in the bottle is a different strain from the yeast used at fermentation.

It seems every thread about bottled yeast has to have at least a couple of people making such claims. In most every case, they're wrong. I have no particular knowledge about Unibroue, but I do know that bottling with a different yeast strain is actually very rarely done.

In any event, the burden of proof will always lie with the people making the claim that a brewery uses a different yeast. In the absence of any evidence that it is done, it is safe to assume that what you get in the bottle is indeed what was used for the primary fermentation. For what it's worth, I've heard rumors that Wyeast may include their version of Unibroue's yeast in their 2012 first quarter releases. We ought to know soon, but don't get upset if these rumors turn out to be wrong. I'm just the messenger.

In most cases, it's more work than a brewery wants to do to completely remove one strain of yeast and to add another. It's easiest to reduce the amount of yeast, and to just use what's there to bottle condition. Especially if it's a belgian strain that's in the bottle, and it's a belgian beer, that's a pretty good reason to believe that it's the primary strain.

They also might add fresh yeast to bottle condition, but it's likely the same yeast they use for primary, just fresh soldiers.

I have cultured from a bottle of Blanche de Chambly and it tastes like Unibroue. AFAIK they use the same strain for most/all of their beers and Blanche de Chambly being relatively low gravity it is probably the best choice.

Thanks guys. Seemed to me that an additional strain made no sense. I'm going to brew a small batch with this harvest and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back