Triple decoction and gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IZS

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm reaching out to try and solve a consistent issue. My last three batches have been super hazy and very thick bodied. Not really a big deal if you like pale stouts. All three have been different yeasts and grain bills, one was a SMASH brew, the first was a partial grain and dry extract, and the last used a large amount of cooked rice in the mash.

triple decoction schedule
room temp strike 80F
1st rest 100F
2nd rest 125F
3rd rest 145F
mash out 170F

One batch was in Las Vegas, the last two were in Albuquerque. Tap water was used in all three batches. Having reviewed the water reports I know the water is pretty different. All three were bottle conditioned. Only the last batch was temp controlled, the first two fermented at room temp 72F. The last one primary at 60F and is currently in secondary at 45F to clear.

I added gelatin at the transfer and brought the temp down in 48 hours.
My shiny new CL wine fridge/fermentation chamber can't go below 40F.

I had a good yeast cake after 14 days in the primary. I'm approaching 7 days in secondary, there is a decent amount of trub settling. It seems the gelatin is floating on top, and the chill hazy is obvious.

the gelatin was bloomed at room temp for 10 min and heated to 160 in the microwave. It was added during the racking, about halfway through the transfer. I almost forgot, oops.

The only change I'm planning is to use RO/super soft water.

Solutions? Suggestions? anyone, anyone

Latest posts

Back