Tripel with Saison Yeast and Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan La Marr

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My wife’s favorite beers are Tripels, and I’d like to brew one. However, I don’t have temp control yet, and all the yeasts I see for Tripel recipes require that.

Is it possible to brew a Tripel or Tripel-like beer with Saison yeast at the stereotypical warm temps Saisons are feremented at (77°-80°)?

Thanks for your help,

Saison yeasts have a very distinct flavor profile. Chances are, using a saison yeast will not get you the results you are looking for.

I would be more inclined to use a belgian yeast which can handle slightly higher temps.
Wyeast Trappist High Gravity is rated for up to 78F. Lots of tripels use that yeast.

If you are set on a saison yeast, you could try wyeast 3711 French Saison (or the equivalent white labs 590). Those yeasts have less of the typical saison funk. But, they also dry the beer out more than normal.

You could also try a kveik yeast which are tolerant up to 100F. But, again, it won't be the same as a belgian yeast.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

Westmalle (wlp530) is type that allow higher temps. I have used it several times in a Westvleteren 12 clone (Belgian quad). The fermentation schedule includes a few days at 84°. Beer is phenomenal. I can't speak about triples as I haven't brewed any yet.

Thanks @Hopsimus! I appreciate the seasoned advice. Perhaps I can do the whole swamp cooler thing to get it down a few degrees.

@catdaddy66 can you point me to that Westvleteren recipe?

I've actually done this recipe myself.
WLP530 is reportedly the same strain as WYeast Trappist High Gravity 3787.
According to that thread it will handle temps into the 80's. I was chicken and only went up to 78F.
I think the darker style might be more forgiving of esters generated by a warm ferment, which is probably why they push it higher.
Either way, it came out very nice!

This is all wonderful, and I would LOVE to do that recipe, but I forgot to say that I don’t have the equipment for all grain, yet. :(

Back