Tripel Keg vs Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flask

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I am brewing a tripel this weekend and I keg everything. But now, I plan on bottling some so I can taste the differences over a year or two. The question is: when should I bottle? Straight from the fermenter, once it force carbed, once the green has slid off(3-4 months) or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Flask

I only know this because my friend brews Belgian tripels and its the only beer he bottles. Because it traditionally has a very high carbonation level he bottles in champagne bottles and corks them. Regular bottles would explode.

Definitely recommend bottling a Tripel. They really start to get good at the six month point.

I bottle my tripels in an assortment of bottles (12oz / flip top / 22oz) at the recommended CO2 volume for style and haven't had an issue with bottle failure.

Belgian brewers almost never age tripels and I take my cue from them. I keg all my tripels.
I enjoy mine fresh as well. From my experience they lose a good amount of flavor within the first month or two.

If I were doing this experiment I'd try force-carbing a couple, then bottle condition a couple and see the difference as well. If it's a 2 year experiment it probably wouldn't hurt to encompass as many factors as possible. You might end up liking one over the other. Just make sure you label everything...

Do you mind sharing your recipe or yeast strain?

Me, or the OP?

Oh it was intended for the OP but if you also have a recipe or preferred yeast strain you are willing to share, the more the merrier! :tank:

I really like the flavors of Wyeast 3522. I know a lot of people talk about fermenting warm but I get good results around 71F. I haven't tried any warmer because I don't have a reliable heat source yet. Do you know if it's worth trying to push the temps up?

Going back to the original question, I bottle condition my tripels maybe a week after hitting final gravity. If I were to keg at 3-3.5 volumes, I'd be afraid of major foaming problems.

The recipe is from Brewing Classic Styles. 14lb pils .25 aromatic 2 1/2 sugar tettnang for bitter saaz for aroma. Using Trappist High Gravity yeast off a Patersbier cake I made two weeks ago. I will probably force carb bottle some after aging is over. Detailed labeling is a must, thanks for mentioning it. Thanks to all repliers. I can't wait to taste this batch.

Flask

Jeffjm,

I had to learn early on how to keg with high volumes of CO2 because one of my favorite styles is Hefeweizen. Thanks for the response.

Flask

Jeffjm,

I had to learn early on how to keg with high volumes of CO2 because one of my favorite styles is Hefeweizen. Thanks for the response.

Flask

I'll bite.... long liquid lines or something else/more?

Since you plan to age for a couple years, I'd try to minimize O2 in the bottle. So that rules out bottling straight from the fermenter. If you force carb then bottle, it's easy to create a little CO2 foam that pushes all the air out of the bottle. Just my 2c.

I'm not sure if you'd want any yeast in the bottle or not. That could be a factor.

I use epoxy mixer inserts. I read about them on the Green Bay rackers site I thnk.

I tried longer lines and they didn't work well for my setup.

I think there is a thread about them on HBT.

Flask

Oh it was intended for the OP but if you also have a recipe or preferred yeast strain you are willing to share, the more the merrier! :tank:

I really like the flavors of Wyeast 3522. I know a lot of people talk about fermenting warm but I get good results around 71F. I haven't tried any warmer because I don't have a reliable heat source yet. Do you know if it's worth trying to push the temps up?

I'm a huge fan of Westmalle triple, so I use their yeast....WY 3787. After all, they invented the style! My version of Westmalle tripel is here...

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/Westcoastmalle

I always start all of my Belgian styles in the 62-65F range and after a week or so let the temp start rising to where ever it wants to go.

Going back to the original question, I bottle condition my tripels maybe a week after hitting final gravity. If I were to keg at 3-3.5 volumes, I'd be afraid of major foaming problems.

You just need enough dispense line to compensate.

Denny,

How long does it take your tripel to mature?

Thanks, love your BVIP recipe by the way.

Flask

Bottle condition it. Kegging beer should be used for hoppy IPA's where freshness is key.

Belgian beers deserve to be in bottles. Use champagne bottles. They'll take a bit longer to carb up but they'll be portable party favors :)

Bottle condition it. Kegging beer should be used for hoppy IPA's where freshness is key.

Belgian beers deserve to be in bottles. Use champagne bottles. They'll take a bit longer to carb up but they'll be portable party favors :)

But I prefer most Belgian styles younger rather than older, as the Belgians do. In that case, kegging is a more pragmatic solution. I think which way to package is just a matter lf personal taste.

Latest posts

Back