Trip to Antwerp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratotankard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So SWMBO is taking a trip to see a friend in Antwerp, Belgium. I would be there with her, but I was supposed to be in class (that has since been canceled).

What I need is suggestions for a few beers to have her bring home. I'm looking for stuff that you can't get your hands on in the States. She's probably going to be limited on how much she can pack (I don't mind paying any customs duties, but she didn't pack a large suitcase) so gimme the one or two beers you consider MUST haves. :)

Thanks,

Terje

Westvetleren 12 and 8. Leffe Brune. Three that come immediately to mind.

3 fonteinen - oude geuze (or one of the vintage varieties)
Cantillon - Grand Cru Bruocsella (unblended lambic)
Brasserie de la Senne - Taras Boulba
De Ranke - Kriek
De Struise - Pannepot or Cuvee Delphinne
Scheldebrouwerij - Zeezuiper or Dulle Griet
Brouwerij Strubbe - Dikke Mathile
Brouwerij Roman - Ename Tripel
Brouwerij de Koninck - De Koninck

Good luck on finding a Westvleteren in the shops. It's still very rare, especially the 12. I do hope she can find it because it is very nice :)

Hi Nembrionic - bit OT, but are there any good beer shops in Rotterdam? I used to go to the Wijnenbierboutique in Den Haag, but it's recently closed down. I sometimes go to the Bierkoning in Amsterdam, but it's a bit of a hike from Delft.

Hi Nembrionic - bit OT, but are there any good beer shops in Rotterdam? I used to go to the Wijnenbierboutique in Den Haag, but it's recently closed down. I sometimes go to the Bierkoning in Amsterdam, but it's a bit of a hike from Delft.

There sure is :)
There's a good one here:

Man van Drank, Hoogstraat 54a, Rotterdam

It's pretty much next to the public library so very easy to reach.

Cheers! I'll give that a go at the weekend.

Attention: I don't know what happend with the link I posted there, but it's not correct.

The address (hoogstraat 54a) is correct, but the link sends you to their warehouse which isn't the right place as you can't buy there directly.

So you'll have to Google Map the address yourself :)

Attention: I don't know what happend with the link I posted there, but it's not correct.

The address (hoogstraat 54a) is correct, but the link sends you to their warehouse which isn't the right place as you can't buy there directly.

So you'll have to Google Map the address yourself :)

Thanks - looks like it's near to Blaak station so easy to get to.

It'll have to wait though - I'm going to check out De Molen's festival on Saturday.

Thanks - looks like it's near to Blaak station so easy to get to.

It'll have to wait though - I'm going to check out De Molen's festival on Saturday.

Yeah that sounds quite interesting. Unfortunately I'm in England till tomorrow and won't be able to make it there :(

And indeed, it's about 5 minutes from Blaak :)

3 fonteinen - oude geuze (or one of the vintage varieties)
Cantillon - Grand Cru Bruocsella (unblended lambic)
Brasserie de la Senne - Taras Boulba
De Ranke - Kriek
De Struise - Pannepot or Cuvee Delphinne
Scheldebrouwerij - Zeezuiper or Dulle Griet
Brouwerij Strubbe - Dikke Mathile
Brouwerij Roman - Ename Tripel
Brouwerij de Koninck - De Koninck

Most of these are available in the US.

Well, figured I'd update on what I ended up getting. My non-beer loving SWMBO brought me home a Maredsous sampler pack she picked up in the duty free store on the way home. :p Don't get me wrong, it's still good beer that i otherwise wouldn't have gotten, but nowhere near what i was hoping for.

Oh well, next month I head to Vegas and I hear there is an awesome beer store there. LOL

Cheers :mug:

Well, figured I'd update on what I ended up getting. My non-beer loving SWMBO brought me home a Maredsous sampler pack she picked up in the duty free store on the way home. :p Don't get me wrong, it's still good beer that i otherwise wouldn't have gotten, but nowhere near what i was hoping for.

Oh well, next month I head to Vegas and I hear there is an awesome beer store there. LOL

Cheers :mug:

Thanks for the update :)

If you end up finding that beerstore in Vegas, can you post here again? I'd love to know where it is :)

Back