Tried my second brew today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
So I just cracked open my second brew I made. A rye ale. It's tasted really good! I bottled it on 1/30....It's under carbonated. I threw three brewers best conditioning tabs in each bottle. I guess next time ill use four or five! Despite it being flat I'm really excited that it tasted so good!

jongrill said:
So I just cracked open my second brew I made. A rye ale. It's tasted really good! I bottled it on 1/30....It's under carbonated. I threw three brewers best conditioning tabs in each bottle. I guess next time ill use four or five! Despite it being flat I'm really excited that it tasted so good!

That should have been plenty of sugar, you are just trying them a bit too early. Give it 3 weeks, then chill in the fridge for 24 hours, then sample. I think you will see a difference.

What temperature did you have the beer when you bottled and during the carbonation period? I'd guess that the lack of carbonation is a lack of time rather than not enough conditioning tabs. If you put in too many tabs, your bottles will explode when the yeast finish eating the sugars they contain, throwing broken glass everywhere.

Those carb tabs are kinda small,& some say they needed four or five to carb properly. Being 18 days today,that's two weeks & 4 days. A few more days to a week might help.

Well yeah,patience is the biggest thing for the new brewer to learn. If you've got any kind of lazy streak,you'll adopt more easily to brewing in my experience,than the hyper mad scientist type.

Back