Tried my first brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I couldn't wait any longer, I just had to try my first batch tonight. Even though it's only been in the bottle since Saturday. I was mildly surprised. It was drinkable, slightly bitter, slight "medicine" taste, could use a bit more head when poured. But considering my inexperience, that I "repitched" my yeast, and that I used tap water with a lot of chlorine in it, I'm very happy. I think the "medicine" taste will be solved by using boiled and/or distilled water for the next batch. I think (hope) maybe the bitterness will mellow with age, and I think I now have the right amount of priming sugar to correct the head. Can't wait to bottle the rest of this batch (been in a secondary since saturday) and can't wait to brew another batch. Plan to bottle the rest and brew another batch on Saturday.

Lovin my homebrew.

SSB

Let that beer sit a while. I know exactly how you feel, anxious to taste the fruits of your labor. Heck, I usually have 1/2 of a batch on tap before week 3. But bottle conditioning takes time. Saturday to Wednesday, in my experience, is not enough time to get the carbonation-head established. Before you start tweaking the recipe or carbonating sugar, let it sit another week or two. By then, the bitterness may have mellowed out a bit, but not likely. Significant conditioning will be required to do that. Personally, I like it bitter. Is it undrinkable bitter or distractingly bitter? Either way, maybe this would be a great Christmas day beer (or any other religious holiday that I can't spell).

singleshotbuff said:
Gentlemen,

I couldn't wait any longer, I just had to try my first batch tonight. Even though it's only been in the bottle since Saturday. I was mildly surprised. It was drinkable, slightly bitter, slight "medicine" taste, could use a bit more head when poured. But considering my inexperience, that I "repitched" my yeast, and that I used tap water with a lot of chlorine in it, I'm very happy. I think the "medicine" taste will be solved by using boiled and/or distilled water for the next batch. I think (hope) maybe the bitterness will mellow with age, and I think I now have the right amount of priming sugar to correct the head. Can't wait to bottle the rest of this batch (been in a secondary since saturday) and can't wait to brew another batch. Plan to bottle the rest and brew another batch on Saturday.

Lovin my homebrew.

SSB

hay sound like me i do the same thing the taste will mellow out after a week or two....as far as head well to give it 2 weeks as well..i have had a batch or two take 2 months to get a good taste.......give it some time or do what i do keg /// force carbenate 24 hours latter drop the co2 back down and drink away i let stand for a week or two to get rid of cloudyness.........first glass from keg or two dump out any (hops sed) is on bottem of keg vary bitter. :drunk:
you can adjust the carbnation with a keg real easy.

watch out on the priming sugar in bottles to much and boom glass everywhere
and a mess as well .
carbnation takes about a week to two weeks in botttles.... now the carb will not be like store bought beers mirco beers have less carbanation. if you are looking for more carb. start thinking of kegging a batch 5 to7 lbs co2 and man the head on most mirco beers.

Back