Tri-Clamp vs NPT fittings for kettle? Recirculating Port?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading my kettle this summer so I'm trying to get an idea of what I'll want. Lately I've been looking at kettles from Colorado Brewing Systems.

They offer a choice of 0.5" NFT welded couplers or 1.5" Tri-Clamp couplers. My understanding is that the NFT couplers are more likely to get gunk in them compared to Tri-Clamp. It also appears that Tri-Clamp equipment like ball valves, thermowells, etc. are more expensive.

Can anyone else further elaborate the difference between NFT and Tri-Clamp? Why would you go with one over the other?

For an extra $30 they also offer an additional 0.5" NPT or 1.5" Tri-Clamp fitting which could be used for whirlpooling. Right now I don't have the equipment to whirlpool (I assume you need a pump and some other stuff) but it sounds like something that might worth getting installed if I decide to go that route later on. Colorado Brewing Systems suggests the port 6" from the bottom for whirlpooling but also offers custom placement for it.

Do you think a whirpool port is a worthwhile addition for late down the road?

Any advice greatly appreciated! :mug:

NPT. I never really saw the appeal of tri-clamps for the hot side. They're designed for sanitary service, so they'd make perfect sense on the cold side (i.e. fermenter) but even then I'm not sure it's worth it. I use all NPT fittings in my fermenters, too, and never have had issues with contamination. I'm sure it's more likely than with tri-clovers, but still not likely if you have good cleaning and sanitizing practices. They do look cool, though. :)

NPT. I never really saw the appeal of tri-clamps for the hot side. They're designed for sanitary service, so they'd make perfect sense on the cold side (i.e. fermenter) but even then I'm not sure it's worth it. I use all NPT fittings in my fermenters, too, and never have had issues with contamination. I'm sure it's more likely than with tri-clovers, but still not likely if you have good cleaning and sanitizing practices. They do look cool, though. :)

To breakdown NPT fittings do you just unscrew them and then screw them back in when you're done? Do these connections require teflon tape?

If you can just screw the fittings in and out then it sounds like it would be pretty easy to clean and keep sanitary, especially for something like beer that doesn't bear any harmful pathogens.

There isn't really a point to using triclover fittings if you aren't able to have them for every part of your system. I can't find any affordable options for triclover pumps or heat exchangers. I know people use npt to triclover fittings, but having threaded ferrules completely defeats the purpose of using triclovers in the first place.

They are easier to connect/disconnect and clean than NPT. That's about as far as their usefulness goes IMO.

Do you just screw them on and off? I assume there is Teflon tape applied to the threads - does this wear down over time and need replacing? How often do you remove the valve and clean it?

Do you just screw them on and off?

Yes.

I assume there is Teflon tape applied to the threads

Yes.

does this wear down over time and need replacing?

Yes, the teflon tape should be replaced whenever you remove the valve.

How often do you remove the valve and clean it?

Never. It gets sanitized by boiling wort during every batch. I don't think I've ever taken the valve off my kettle.

I'm glad I went with tri-clover over NPT. I can unhook all my gear, clean it and put it away. The stuff I found in my pick up tube is nothing I would want to hang around.

It's pretty simple to clean, no places for gunk to hide. The tri-clover stuff is a little more expensive, but I think worth if you are going to invest in your brew gear.

I used to think NPT was the way to go, easy cheap accessible. Then I built a 3 vessel electric brewery with tons of NPT fittings, tees, elbows.

I'm now shopping tri clover kettles from Colorado Brew Systems.

I take all 9 of my 3 piece valves apart every brew day, there are tons of washers and orings that go with the weld less setup electric brewery uses. I don't unthread every fitting but I sure make sure that I can inspect the threads. I have found far too much gunk to do otherwise. Sure the boil sanitizes the stuff, but I'm not ok starting a brew day without a Clean system. This mantra has elevated my quality of beer I've made. Honestly.

Yes you can make great beer with threaded fittings. I have. But my issue is the time associated to disassemble down to bare bones to clean and inspect is just too great. I won't compromise my need to disassemble to clean, so I see tri clover as a must for my needs.

I do however, have the budget and have been brewing for around 6 years (hardcore for 2). I have already invested funds everywhere else to make better beer, (o2 setup, co2 transfers, water chemistry)this is my final splurge. I feel that at the prices and availability of tri clover kettles on the homebrew level, in 2-3 years it will be like stepping from extract to all grain from NPT-TC.

This is where I am at.

I have welded TC on my setup at every location except the plate chiller which utilizes threaded TC just ti keep connections consistent... My system is from Stout (which is a story for another day... Or thread) but its all they offer and I'm glad i have them. I know my system isn't sanitary since my chiller is threaded but the hot wort flows through it during the end of my boil and whirlpooling so anything remaining after the previous brew day cleanse is sterilized (I highly suggest you add a whirlpool port... Which is really nice with the stout cone bottom BK and the only reason I bought their system).

My old system utilized NPT and it was simple to piece together from scratch when building the system but I hated breaking them down and rethreading during cleaning... I like the simple clamp and wipe that is involved now and it makes my connections simple and temporary... Camlocks would achieve the same "ease of connectivity" concept for threaded connections but you will still have to break them down and clean the threaded ports at some point

My suggestion would be to splurge for the TC now and once the initial cost increase has been accounted for, the money will be justified in the easy of cleaning/connecting... IMO

Plus it just looks cool to have all that shinny SS hanging of the kettle like the big boys do [emoji51]

Back