Travelling in fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
I just brewed 10 gallons of pumpkin ale for our housewarming party on October 19. We are moving to the new house the week of September 20. I am packing all my beer stuff up now but am debating whether I need to leave it out to bottle at the old house, or risk traveling with 2 fermenters full of bee. I would like the beer to bottle condition for at least 3 weeks before trying it ou. What do you think? Keep the bottling stuff out or go ahead and pack it?

Biggest risk IMO is oxidation from sloshing. Next would be spillage of course. Also if it gets too hot.

Any potential downside to bottling at the old house? It'll be a pain in the a$$ to have to move all those bottles is all I'm worried about I guess.

jpeebs said:
Any potential downside to bottling at the old house? It'll be a pain in the a$$ to have to move all those bottles is all I'm worried about I guess.

I know it's a pain, but it's the best way to keep your brew without risking off flavors. Go to your local liquor store/beer shop and see if they have extra boxes with the dividers in them. In my experience, they usually hand them away without issue.

I agree...traveling with fermenters with beer that is just about finished seems like you are asking for trouble.

I would think that traveling with two fermenters would be more of a PITA then 100ish bottles. Bottle boxes stack pretty easily and are resistant to light. Carboys are big heavy and akaward and aren't resistant. I would for sure bottle before moving. I did this recently and had good success.

Latest posts

Back