Traveling with Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathPowe

Reaction score
Howdy. Just wondering if anyone would care to share their experience on something I've been wondering about. I'm planning to take a couple cornies of homebrew up to my folks' place for the 4th. I'm driving and, due to the schedule of the trip, the kegs will be unrefrigerated for 2 -3 days. My plan is to keep the AC kickin while I'm in the car and then move them to a cooler place if it's really hot and I'm away from the vehicle for a while.

One will be naturally primed but the other I already have cold/carbing in my kegerator. Do ya'll think letting the cold keg warm up and stay that way for 2 - 3 days is going to mess with the flavor of my beer? Assuming the one that will already be at room temp (primed) will be good to go. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

It will be fine. I've driven across the country with kegs, and they were just fine. Just like with bottled beer, you don't want to store the beer where it's really hot, but traveling with them is no problem.

Nice. Thanks for the reply Yooper. I'm actually taking the kegs to Michigan. My folks have a place near Ludington and we throw a party up there every year for the 4th. Stoked to share some homebrew this year.

I figured it'd be cool but, ya know, there are a lot of first impressions of my beer at stake here...

If I can travel with 2 kegs in my small sports car, you can too!

2011-12-24_at_14_16_30-54398.jpg

The only trouble I've had with traveling with a keg is the first few pours after are very foamy. I highly recommend letting them sit as long as possible under serving pressure to allow them to equalize.

Just some food for thought - how do you think the big boys ship their beer? in the back of a truck (albeit refrigerated).

You should be fine, think of a keg as a large beer bottle made of stainless steel (assuming you've traveled with bottled beer previously of course).

RDWHAHB (just not before or while you drive).

If I can travel with 2 kegs in my small sports car, you can too!

Sports car? Where's the standard broski?

:/

To stay on topic, traveling with kegs is all good. Just use common sense. ie don't leave it in the back of the pickup rolling around, or in direct sunlight for a prolonged amount of time.

Latest posts

Back