Traveling to Kentucky - anything I should look for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I'm driving from CT to Bowling Green, KY in a week. Is there any beers or a particular brewery in that area (or along the way) that I should keep an eye out for to try?

Bowling Green is a bit thin on breweries. I go down there periodically to visit family and have been to White Squirrel. It is a smaller brewery, but they have a few good beers, not a huge variety if I remember correctly. If coming down I-65 to get there, there are more breweries in Indianapolis and Louisville on the way, however I don't have any first-hand experience at any of them. Honestly, when I'm near Bowling Green I like to stop off on the Bourbon Trail and hit a distillery around Bardstown. I love beer, but when in the heart of bourbon land...

We won't be going as far north/west as Indianapolis...coming west through PA then cutting SW through Ohio and into KY. I already have a few bourbon distilleries on the list for sure.

I like some breweries in Cleveland, but that's probably too far north for you on this trip. If I knew your route, I could probably come up with something!

I like some breweries in Cleveland, but that's probably too far north for you on this trip. If I knew your route, I could probably come up with something!

We're sticking mostly to back roads and taking 3 days to drive from CT to BG, KY. East through NY and PA, spending night 1 in State College, PA. From there heading southwest into WV (roughly Morgantown to Parkersburg), into OH. Night 2 in Jackson, OH, then SW to Bowling Green via Lexington.

Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I think Southern Ohio is still a beer wasteland. I haven't been there in a while (I'm from Youngstown originally and used to go back several times a year to visit and do day trips). Cool places in Pittsburgh for sure, but once you get into WV and Southern Ohio, I think it'd be tough to find a good beer place.

I'm not necessarily looking for breweries to stop at, but if I'm in that area of the country, beers or brands to keep an eye out for in stores that may not be available in the northeast (i.e. we don't get too much Bell's out here, and I think I might be able to pick up some of their stuff along the way).

Check out some in Lexington! I'm familiar with West 6th & Blue Stallion. There are several more there but there is more than enough to keep me busy in Louisville.

Dan F.
lagers/Fossils

I was in Kentucky in early July. I was surprised at how much of it was "dry", as in no alcohol sales. May want to look for a map of dry counties on the Google machine before you head out.

I did find Bells 2 Hearted Ale in one convenient store. I did not go to any distillerys or breweries on my visit.

Back