Travel Tips Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a corny keg finishing up for deer camp this year and I'm wondering the best way to transport it nearly 6 hours. It will go in a kegerator when it arrives for dispensing.

What's the best way to haul it?

Laying on the back seat where it can't roll around? Standing up and strapped in?

Standing up so if the pressure relief has to pop, it’ll let out gas and not fluid. Should be fine. If it’s over carbed or you have to go a long time on rough roads, then maybe in a bucket with a little ice? But I doubt that’s needed.

A few years back I transported two corny kegs in the trunk of a Sentra from Georgia to Maine with no ill effects. About as imperfect as it gets, kegs in trashcans with ice...blonde ale was a little cloudy, cider was clear. By the time things really got rolling nobody cared about anything being a bit cloudy.

I wouldn't go all Dukes of Hazzard with it, but you should be pretty safe.

Standing is the prefered way, of course, but if its cold where you are, do it however you want. Shouldn't relieve itself (haha) unless it gets really hot. In the winter, I put mine in the truck bed on it's side or however suits me. In the summer, I lay it semi-sideways in a cooler (its too big to get the cooler lid shut) and pack it with ice. Sometimes 100s of miles and had
no problem to date.

Pretty near all interstate except the last 10 miles or so.....still good road. When we pull out it will have been in keg carbonating at about 11psi for nearly 5 weeks.....besides a little extra co2 boost early after transfer to keg.....and at 37deg. Looking like low 50's departure temp and upper 30's at destination.

Maybe I can strap it in the corner of the pickup bed standing up

I've taken kegs down to my oldest son's place in NJ and used the stood up in an ice-filled plastic trash can method as already suggested.
Worked well and provided a way to keep them cold for the week (the lad ain't got no kegerator or even spare fridge)...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back