trappist wyeast high gravity (Monster)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derwin

Reaction score
Hello,I got a starter going tonight for tomorrow.Just going to make a strong ale or tripel or barley wine.The recipe is just something i am throwing together.Extract with partial mash. 6 gal full boil, 5 gallons left.10.9 lbs dme and lme.(steeped grains include) half lb simpson golden promise,half lb cara amber lovibond 25-35,half lb honey malt,half lb of cara 8 malt,1 lb of belgian candy sugar.2 ozs citra @ 60 min,1 oz of cascade @30 min,1 oz fuggles@ 15, 1 oz of saaz 2@ 5 min.I just grabbed some things.Now i know i have a lot of sugars.might not even need the belgian candy sugar.any suggestions are great.I used the tasty brew recipes calculator.This has too be stronger than 8.3%.Will the belgian sugar dry it out too much or burn your throat from the alcohol?I could do 2 beers and really dont want to waste it.First time using this yeast.If i do make it,it will have to sit at least 6 months to a year.I know now what i just grabbed off the shelf,is that the cara 8 malt is mild caramel and the cara amber is a mild crystal malt.Maybe i should just follow a recipe.I think i might cut back on the hops as some are high alpha acids.But i want a nice balance

Hi,
Did you ever make this beer?
lets review:
10.9 lbs extract
.5 golden promise
.5 cara amber
.5 honey malt
.5 cara 8 malt
1 candy sugar
60 mins .2 citra
30 1 fuggles
15 1 saaz
5 2 saaz

First, you'll need a big big starter, use the brewers friend pitching calc.
Second, you have 1.5 lbs caramel type malts which puts you in the upper end for FG even with the sugar addition, should be fine considering the style.

If you are trying to do a partial mash with the golden promise, you'll need more, read into getting your volumes of water correct.

The hops look fine, if anything I would add more, tasty brew tends to under estimate bitterness to me.

Otherwise, pitch big and under 68*, use pure O2, ferment mid 60's at first, leave it in primary 4 - 6 weeks, then leave it alone.

cheers

Latest posts

Back