TRAPPIST-1 exoplanet system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't necessarily assume it has no relation. Often times people will deliberately construct an acronym based on what they're trying to make it say. Whoever named the telescope just might be a beer geek... Maybe even a homebrewer ;-)

Edit -- in fact, it's a Belgian telescope and they say it was named specifically as an homage to Trappist monks/brewers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST

I heard an interview with one of the scientists last night. The planets do not have official names yet, but the scientists have for now unofficially named them after different beers.

at only 40 light years away out great grand kids might go there. That is what I think is exciting!:mug:

Sorry to burst the Trappist beer bubble...
"named for The Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small Telescope (TRAPPIST) in Chile" but maybe not too much of a stretch since the letters don't quite fit directly.

admiral-ackbar.png

Latest posts

Back