Transporting pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach976

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyways. I vacuum sealed a pound of hop pellets into 1oz packages for my brother yesterday. We are going camping/hunting this weekend, so I plan on bringing them in my cooler(currently in the freezer) to him to bring home. Anyone see a problem with the hops being stored in a cooler over the weekend until he can get them in his freezer? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't see why. I get my pellets mailed from MoreBeer with their free shipping (very slow), and I've had pellets in my freezer for well over a year that are still good. No telling how hot they've been in the warehouses or on those trucks.

Hope y'all get some deer! I'm guessing you're hunting in the Hill Country where it's about guaranteed?

Thanks for the input. I hope we get some deer too. We are hunting at my grandparents place near Brownwood. It's usually good hunting.

I don't see why. I get my pellets mailed from MoreBeer with their free shipping (very slow), and I've had pellets in my freezer for well over a year that are still good. No telling how hot they've been in the warehouses or on those trucks.

Hope y'all get some deer! I'm guessing you're hunting in the Hill Country where it's about guaranteed?

Not sure you even need to put them in a cooler. If I'm using pellets, they come in foil pouches that are hanging on the wall of the LHBS. The whole hops are in a freezer...

If they are vac sealed you should be okay. Pellets from the distributors are usually flushed of O2 so they are more stable. Keeping them cold helps as well but a little time of being warm should be okay. If there is room in the cooler it wouldnt hurt to throw them in, but otherwise no worries

I just put them all in a big gallon storage bag and thought the same thing. Haha.
If you get "stopped" the cops might be wondering what kind of drugs are now coming in pellet form. LOL

I'd bet they'd have you on the side for quite some time! Bet you'd have a long chain of flashing lights too! Ha ha!

Do you have axis that far north? Looked at a map and it seems as though you are on the other side of the Hill Country I'm guessing.

I haven't seen any out here before. Shot a decent 8 point this morning. Ready to make some jerky.

I'd bet they'd have you on the side for quite some time! Bet you'd have a long chain of flashing lights too! Ha ha!

Do you have axis that far north? Looked at a map and it seems as though you are on the other side of the Hill Country I'm guessing.

Sounds like you plan to take better care of them than USPS or FedEx would.

Not sure you even need to put them in a cooler. If I'm using pellets, they come in foil pouches that are hanging on the wall of the LHBS. The whole hops are in a freezer...

Your LHBS should be storing pellets in a freezer as well. Pellets certainly degrade just like whole hops do.

Love the jerky and ham steaks!

Gotta find some axis! It's right up there with elk in my book as far as great taste! About the size of a smaller mule deer. And all year long!

Back