Transporting a kegErAtor on its side is ok....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethlovex

Reaction score
Right? Just let it sit for a day before plugging in?

What about the CO2 bottle?

Yup just let it sit upright for a minimum of a day well done you know what your doing :). With the co2 I believe its a myth that it can't be on it's side because I have done 25 gallons worth of kegging with my bottle sideways and in just turned it upright because the pressure of the bottle on my.one gauge caused a leak.

Yup just let it sit upright for a minimum of a day well done you know what your doing :). With the co2 I believe its a myth that it can't be on it's side because I have done 25 gallons worth of kegging with my bottle sideways and in just turned it upright because the pressure of the bottle on my.one gauge caused a leak.

You sure it was pressure and not liquid co2 leaking into the gauge. When you fill a co2 tank it is filled with liquid co2. As the pressure is released from the tank the liquid co2 expands to repressurize the head space in the tank. If the liquid level in the tank is high enough when you lay it on its side liquid co2 could get into the regulator. If you turn the bottle upside down its guaranteed. To answer the op's question if your transporting the co2 bottle there's no problem with it being on its side. I would not dispense co2 with the bottle on its side though.

biohaz7331 said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure, searched a little bit on HBT and got a consensus answer. I love this site! Now I get to research Four tap towers and new lines! Any tips? Plus I need a 5 gal keg. Leaning towards keg connection.

BTW got th kegerator for free with a CO2 tank. Plus it had a big keg, thought about making a keggle but ended up returning it for 30$ deposit.

You sure it was pressure and not liquid co2 leaking into the gauge. When you fill a co2 tank it is filled with liquid co2. As the pressure is released from the tank the liquid co2 expands to repressurize the head space in the tank. If the liquid level in the tank is high enough when you lay it on its side liquid co2 could get into the regulator. If you turn the bottle upside down its guaranteed. To answer the op's question if your transporting the co2 bottle there's no problem with it being on its side. I would not dispense co2 with the bottle on its side though.

^^^ On the money, you do not want to get liquid Co2 into a regulator that is for sure. Liquid to gas expansion rate of Co2 is 1 to 553 that at the very least would destroy the internal workings of your regulator.

I learned the inconvenient way that if you can't transport a filled CO2 tank fully upright, before you connect a regulator to it you should first crack open the tank valve for a brief blast to dissipate any droplets.

The one time I didn't do that after laying the filled tank down inside my truck cab, the primary closest to the tank valve went nutty and took a full day to normalize. I usually take a bungee cord to strap it up against a seat back but forgot it that one time....

Cheers!

Back