Transplanting in Early March

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saboral

Reaction score
So I have four cascade plants that have flourished over the last 3 years. Unfortunately they have gotten far too large in the area next to the deck and are literally conquering my deck in the later half of the summer. I'd like to move them to a proper backyard hop yard where they can grow to all their glory. Also so I can rebuild my new deck. Do you think it will be ok to transplant them in the next week or so? I live in Central Virginia. In conversations I've had with other hops hobbyists, I've been told I should consider trimming the plants back this year to make sure the root system gets fully established.

I plan on building a few rows of ground set raised 2x6 planters. I will be tilling the same garden soil they're in now. A second question, what kind of spacing should I put between plants? I'm thinking of making a few more rows for some other varieties.

Thanks in Advance,

Hops are harder to kill than keep alive, if you transplant them now they should be fine. As far as spacing the same variety can be planted as close as 3' apart. different varieties can be planted 5' apart. Cheers

I had to transplant 2 of my 1 year old crowns this year. I transplanted them around the first of February to their new home and I poked around in the soil last week and they already had a couple of new buds deep on the crown.

You really should be fine to transplant whenever. Just be careful when digging them up to preserve the roots as much as possible. Keep in mind that hops are biologically pioneer plants and have adapted to reproduce in the worst soil conditions imaginable. They are very difficult to kill, our job as growers is to maximize cone production rather than keep them alive, they're very good at doing that themselves.

So I transplanted them yesterday. I think it went alright, but two of the crowns split as I was trying to extricate the large roots. I can't believe how a solo cup sized rhizome developed 8' long roots extending far beyond the raised bed they were in.

I replanted in a shallow plot and watered them, installed 10 foot posts and ran trellis wire. I hope they'll come back.

I guarantee you they'll emerge with vigor. Hey, if you wanted more you could just finish ripping the crowns in half and plant both!

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but they live! All six of the new plantings are poking up bines some already with leaves!

Latest posts

Back