transplant hops mid summer (in MN)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bundling

Reaction score
I have a 9 year old very hearty cascade in my MN backyard right now. Problem is i am moving at the end of June to a new home. few questions:
1: can i transplant a rhizome like this in the middle of the summer?
2: what kind of rhizome should i dig up to transplant
3: can i simply keep a large part of the root ball and transplant in fall??

Any help would be great. I'm hoping the new owner of my home wont dig this amazing guy up and throw away.

Summer in Minnesota? Is that Tuesday this year?

If i were you, I'd dig up as much of the main plant as possible and plant in the new location.

Tell the new owner about the hops. Let him/ her decide whether it's a good thing.

It should. Since it's summer, you may need to water more frequently while letting it get established. You don't want to overwater it, though. It's best to let the soil dry between waterings. I'd probably start with watering twice a week. If it looks like it's getting too dry, water more frequently. But be aware that the symptoms of too much water can look similar to the symptoms of not enough water, so if it looks worse after increasing the water, cut back.

If I remember correctly, hops develop really deep tap roots, so you're not going to get all of the roots. It might take a little while for it to produce as much as it has been.

I just had to do this but mine are in pots (2nd year plants) so it's juuuuust a little different. Haha. I have experience with transplanting though. From my experience you need to get as much of the roots as possible and keep as much soil with it as possible too so it's less of a shock to the plant. Seeing how hops are pretty much weeds I'd think they'd be ok as a root ball in a new home. You may notice a decline in yield though since the plant has to re-establish itself in a new area with different conditions and the like.

Figured I'd add a quick update on my hops. I tried 2 methods to move them.
1. I hacked the bones back to 12" and dug up what I could. These went into grow bags (Walmart reusable bags) they were then moved into there new soil the same day as 2.
2. I kept the bones intact and dug everything up as one price. These went into the new soil the same day.

So far 1 was the better choice the ones in bags were moved a week before everyone else and are more than a week recovered.
What I thought was a good choice of keeping all the vines was not that helpful as even with gentle handling all the bins have died back anayway.

If I was to do it again I would cut them back to 12-18 inches and move them to bags ASAP and let them hang out there. Moving them to the new ground as time allowed.

Regardless. I moved 9 plants, 2 I split and it looks like I have lost 1. There maybe more casualties, but my wife has already said "buy more" so....

Do it when the constellation is in Cancer (preferably) or another fruitful sign and use kelp or another series of micro nutrients to help the plant deal with transplant shock. Overall, from what i have learned, they are rather hardy plants.

Back