transferred from primary to secondary after 6 weeks and fermentation started again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgarner58

Reaction score
is this normal?

plinian legacy kit from NB - 1.070 OG...1.5 packets of US05.

just seems odd that it would kick back up after so much time. airlock bubbling about every 10 seconds. second dry hop is due today and according to time table its supposed to go into the keg next week. should i wait until it stops bubbling?

never had this happen before...

Could be temperature fluctuation from one vessel to the next. Is the secondary located in a different area of the house? Not sure how you transferred but, it could also be air suspended during transfer. Who knows....

If you have a hydrometer, take a reading, wait a couple of days and take another. If the readings match, it's done. If you don't have a hydrometer, get one.

Either way, you should be fine in going ahead with your dry hop. Just make sure fermentation is complete before you transfer to that keg!

Sounds like the dry hops you added are adding surface area for co2 to accumulate and consequently gas itself out of solution. Also could be from temp swings or even stirring up a little yeast activity from transfer. Either way it's definitely more normal than you'd think! :mug:

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Same spot in the house. Temp seems fine. I just thought it odd after 6 weeks for it to start back up... And continue bubbling now for an additional 5 days so far. I have a hydrometer. I will just check it. Thanks.

Back