Transfering/racking from corny to bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
Not sure where else to post this.

Currently souring 5gal of wort in a corny (to keep o2 exposure at bay) and need to transfer to a bucket and pitch my brett to ferment.

My plan is to hook up a line to the liquid out and place the other end in the bottom of the bucket and apply a little bit of pressure (2-3psi) to rack. Im wondering if this will cause splashing etc on the receiving end since the bucket obviously won't be sealed or pressurized.

is there anyway to create a siphon using the liquid out so that it transfers via gravity instead of co2? the autosiphon isn't long enough to reach the bottom of the corny keg.

i assume if i release pressure in the keg once the wort is flowing it will stop the transfer.

any ideas/tips etc appreciated.

Hmmm.......
Ball lock connector to your liquid out post, long piece of vinyl tubing, receiving vessel lower than the bottom of the corny, apply your 2-3 psi to the corny, open the PRV on the corny lid once the flow starts, shut off the CO2........

It should keep rolling, provided no sludge / trub picked up from the corny.

thats what i was gonna try but didn't know if killing the pressure would stop the flow - will find out tonight

As long as the exit end of the transfer tubing stays lower than the bottom of the corny, it will maintain siphon just fine.

Latest posts

Back