Torpedo Keg perspective

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousFishes

Reaction score
I was asked elsewhere about how I'm liking the Torpedo kegs I recently purchased from Morebeer. Thought I'd post my thoughts here in case it helps anyone.

So far, I really like the Torpedo kegs a lot. This was, however, my first foray into kegging. I'm generally a buy once, cry once advocate. I read quite a bit here about different approaches and products before buying. A couple of things swayed me to the Torpedo kegs:

- I liked the comfort of the rolled handles for lifting when filled

- One LHBS store sells Italian ball lock kegs, but I did not like the sharp edges on the handle, they do not allow for stacking with connections in place and they are quite a bit more expensive than the Torpedos

- I read somewhere that the rubber top on most corny kegs is prone to wear and marking surfaces. Even falling off... The idea of black scuffs on my hardwoods (I still brew in my kitchen), garage or new kegerator was a non-starter

- The Torpedo kegs weren't that much more expensive than the refurbished kegs offered by a couple of my LHBS. I was willing to pay a little bit more for shiny and new (and no rubber)

- I would have preferred to buy them from my LHBS, but they're just not available locally right now. One LHBS that I frequent most frequently intends to order a palette of them soon, but I have two batches ready to keg this coming weekend and I couldn't wait any longer. So I just ordered two more Torpedo kegs from Morebeer last night, which should be here Friday. That brings me to 4 for now, which allows me to keep beer flowing on each of my taps.

YMMV, that's what led me to the Torpedos and I'm very happy so far

Right on. They do appear to be a great deal. I'd do the same if I didn't have a bunch of used cornys already.

Glad they're working well for you!

Seconded. I love them. Only thing of note is they're slightly wider and shorter than other Ball locks -- for some people that means fitting one less in their keezer. But for others, that means more room cause of stacking. Neither a pro nor con. I have three new single-handle AEB kegs I'd gladly trade for Torpedos if anyone is local and interested ;).

I now have five Torpedo kegs and I love them. My only complaint was the lack of decent packaging for shipping so all but one keg has little dents in them. Regardless, I highly recommend them.

I now have five Torpedo kegs and I love them. My only complaint was the lack of decent packaging for shipping so all but one keg has little dents in them. Regardless, I highly recommend them.

So are they much more thin than normal cornys then? Mine seem very thick and not prone to small dings at all. Maybe that's why they're so affordable.

I am loving mine as well. The look of it, stackability and the way the bottom is designed to get as much beer as possible out. I'm on my second kegged beer ever in it and couldn't be happier.

It seals great, cleans up real nice and gets compliments on how it looks. I bet refurbished kegs don't get as many oooh's and aaah's besides for their delicious contents.

Mine came in the standard cardboard boxes that any other keg do I think. Didn't notice a thinner box. Sucks to hear about yours! Mine came out dentless. They definitely are less polished though, but don't mind that.

So are they much more thin than normal cornys then? Mine seem very thick and not prone to small dings at all. Maybe that's why they're so affordable.

Mine were shipped largely unprotected in the thinnest possible cardboard - no buffer of peanuts, crumpled paper, styrofoam or other protection. Im not sure that your average corny keg would have been any more/less harmed. I think you can chalk it up to Morebeer packaging practices. Regardless, I like them so much that I bought again.

I don't think they are any thinner than a regular Corny keg. Actually, I was just talking last night about ordering a few more of them so obviously the dents don't bother me much! Great product at a great price.

Nice to know. Unfortunately, 1/2" wider is a deal breaker for me. Right now my ball lock kegs will only fit if I snuggle them together, and I think the keezer walls actually stretch a little bit (ya know, steel is flexible, dontcha???)

I can definitely understand that. My old kegerator was a converted minifridge, and I had to cut insulation off of the wall to squeeze three in.

For those who have the room though, these would be awesome for split batches and things to squeeze in an extra tap in the same amount of space.

I'm thinking of getting a few 5 gallon slim torpedo kegs. Any new pros or cons or advice whether this is a good or bad idea? They've been on the market now for a little bit longer and wanted to see if any new input is out on these. This will be my introduction to kegging.

I just got a slim 2.5 gallon and it's very sturdy and mine seals up without any issues. It's in kegerator now carbonating. Will be ordering two more soon!

I can't believe how much prices on used cornys has risen even just in the short time that I've been brewing. Really has started making buying new almost the more affordable option. Most of the time recently when I see used cornys on the market they are from somebody doing a huge buy in, keeping the good ones, and selling the less desirable ones at an inflated price. The ones that I see at my lhbs just look like tired dogs with mismatched parts... And then you only really get the option of 5 gallon kegs, when I'm starting to think I'd like to split my batches between bottles and kegs. I was not aware of these torpedo kegs.

I just got a slim 2.5 gallon and it's very sturdy and mine seals up without any issues. It's in kegerator now carbonating. Will be ordering two more soon!

I have three of 2.5G (they are actually more like 2.6G) torpedoes and they work great! Stickability with connectors on is a huge feature for me.

I just purchased two of the 1.6, two of the 2.5, and one 5 gal in the new slim lines. I'm just starting with kegging so these will hopefully be my workhorses. I'll try and remember to post some initial impressions when they show up.

Going to get a couple of the 2.5 gallon torpedo kegs in the very near future.

For those of who recently started using them, how do you like them?

Going to get a couple of the 2.5 gallon torpedo kegs in the very near future.

For those of who recently started using them, how do you like them?

I bought 2 each of the 1.5, 2.5, and 5 gal slimline torpedo kegs. They have all worked great for me (I replaced all the seals with silicone at the start). For me personally, I wish I'd ordered a few more 2.5's and maybe one less 1.5. I use the 2.5 gal's the most with a brewing friend. We split 5 gal batches. This keeps us brewing new beers almost constantly (which is a plus for us) and I don't feel I'm ever "stuck" trying to get rid of a lot of excess beer. No problems keeping pressure or anything like that. Handles are comfy to carry around at parties. Love em.

I have one 2.5 torpedo which I like, needed keg lube for proper seal, only two of my refurbs need it so not sure why a new one needed it but not a big deal. Considering a second one if I can get myself brewing enough 2.5 gal batches on the stove on Friday nights.

I have one 2.5 torpedo which I like, needed keg lube for proper seal, only two of my refurbs need it so not sure why a new one needed it but not a big deal. Considering a second one if I can get myself brewing enough 2.5 gal batches on the stove on Friday nights.

I've never seen this written anywhere, but I think the purpose of keg lube is to help the seals slide into place. I don't think it works like something that would "caulk" any leaks--I don't believe it could handle the pressure of 36 or more psi if one is force carbing.

To me, it's just natural to use keg lube on those seals.

And FYI, I originally bought 2 of the squatty 5-gallon torpedoes along w/ a 1.5 gallon torpedo. About 2 months ago I bought another, this time a slimline. All work as expected and advertised. If I could trade all my other corny kegs for torpedoes, I'd do it in a second.

Seconded. I love them. Only thing of note is they're slightly wider and shorter than other Ball locks -- for some people that means fitting one less in their keezer. But for others, that means more room cause of stacking. Neither a pro nor con. I have three new single-handle AEB kegs I'd gladly trade for Torpedos if anyone is local and interested ;).

I have 4-2.5 and a 1.5 and am loving them. Recently I have noticed a new addition to the MoreBeer offerring: slimline Torpedo kegs. I think these are standard (Coke/Pepsi) corny keg widths now, but are taller because of the stackability (which was the #1 purchase reason (among many) for me.

I have 4-2.5 and a 1.5 and am loving them. Recently I have noticed a new addition to the MoreBeer offerring: slimline Torpedo kegs. I think these are standard (Coke/Pepsi) corny keg widths now, but are taller because of the stackability (which was the #1 purchase reason (among many) for me.

That is correct. I have two of the shorter ones, bought the new "slim" one before Christmas. Just like a regular corny keg except no rubber foot to dirty up floors and hands.

It works great. If I could trade my used corny kegs for torpedoes, I'd do it in a second.

I have three of 2.5G (they are actually more like 2.6G) torpedoes and they work great! Stickability with connectors on is a huge feature for me.

my third 2.5 gal was delivered last week. I'm switching over to naturally priming and conditioning in the keg with them. Mainly because if I force carbonate I tap them right way and not give them time to condition. With my DIY kegerator, I can only have one keg connected to the CO2 at a time, so this way I prime, bleed the air by topping off with CO2 and set aside.

fwiw, I have a 1.75 cannonball that I use as a growler filling it with local beers from my distributor that I use in between home brew kegs. Again, it's meant to help me not rush tapping a keg and gives me a reason to try local brews.

I am using keg lube on all the gaskets, no leaking issues, it just seems like a best practice to hasten wearing them out.

I bought a 1.5 gal slimline. It arrived with no pressure. I reseated the lid and pressurized it and within a day there was no pressure. Did that one more time and still would not hold.
I notified Morebeer who immediately offered refund or replacement. I chose replacement and they shipped it right away. The replacement arrived un pressurized as well. When I tried to pressurize this one, it leaked so bad at the lid that i felt the co2 hitting me as I tried to pressurize it. No amount of reseating the lid would rectify the fact that it leaked like a sieve.
Returned. My view is they have a QC problem. Clearly no-one checked at least the second keg.

Here's the BS part. I left an objective review on their product page, pretty much as stated above giving kudos to customer service, but recommending against the product. I received an acknowledgement of my review stating it needed to be reviewed and would be posted. It never was. If you look at the reviews, they are only positive.

Buyer beware.

I bought a 1.5 gal slimline. It arrived with no pressure. I reseated the lid and pressurized it and within a day there was no pressure. Did that one more time and still would not hold.
I notified Morebeer who immediately offered refund or replacement. I chose replacement and they shipped it right away. The replacement arrived un pressurized as well. When I tried to pressurize this one, it leaked so bad at the lid that i felt the co2 hitting me as I tried to pressurize it. No amount of reseating the lid would rectify the fact that it leaked like a sieve.
Returned. My view is they have a QC problem. Clearly no-one checked at least the second keg.

Here's the BS part. I left an objective review on their product page, pretty much as stated above giving kudos to customer service, but recommending against the product. I received an acknowledgement of my review stating it needed to be reviewed and would be posted. It never was. If you look at the reviews, they are only positive.

Buyer beware.

Did you use keg lube to lubricate the o-ring on the lid?

I did get 2 of the 2.6 gallon kegs and thus far are working great. Both were pressurized when I received them and no problems with getting a good seal after filling.

Thanks for all the inputs. Now I've got to ramp up production!

i would have needed caulk. i use lube and there is no way lube was making a difference.

That sounds like either the opening or the lid (or both, perhaps) were bent out of round, or otherwise their....straightness?....was compromised. I'm not sure how to articulate this, but the lid and the opening should mate, w/ the o-ring providing seal.

Just trying to understand what's wrong w/ them. I've had very good success w/ the Torpedo kegs, but it sure sounds like a quality-control issue.

The only other thing I can think of is whether you used pressure to try to seat the lid. I've often had lids that wouldn't seal until and unless there was pressure inside the keg.

That sounds like either the opening or the lid (or both, perhaps) were bent out of round, or otherwise their....straightness?....was compromised. I'm not sure how to articulate this, but the lid and the opening should mate, w/ the o-ring providing seal.

Just trying to understand what's wrong w/ them. I've had very good success w/ the Torpedo kegs, but it sure sounds like a quality-control issue.

The only other thing I can think of is whether you used pressure to try to seat the lid. I've often had lids that wouldn't seal until and unless there was pressure inside the keg.

It had to be a bent rim. The co2 was rushing out and would never pressurize. No amount of fiddling with the lid would make it any better and it was always from the same spot.

I get that these are mass produced Chinese imports, and there are going to be quality issues from the manufacturer. I guess I was expecting that Morebeer would test them before packing and shipping. Every other keg i've bought has come pressurized.

These could be great little kegs. The 1.5 gal units fit nicely in the fridge. They just need to get the quality under control.

I'm interested in the Torpedo kegs, so I watched this video:https://youtu.be/LxuWrmrZs-E

Clearly there's rust on the top of the keg where the bail rests. Have you guys experienced rust on your kegs?

It also shows what's holding down that bail - spot welds on some thin metal. Pictures of Cornelius kegs show a more robust attachment that supports the bail. For those of you that have exprience with both Cornelius and Torpedo, can you comment on the quality differences you note please?

I have 4 corny (used) kegs and 1 new Torpedo keg. I'm planning on buying another Torpedo soon. It has never giving me any problems unlike the corny's. I always have trouble with the lids and the gas quick disconnect to seal properly on the corny's. I plan on having all Torpedo's and getting rid of my corny's.

I'm interested in the Torpedo kegs, so I watched this video:https://youtu.be/LxuWrmrZs-E

Clearly there's rust on the top of the keg where the bail rests. Have you guys experienced rust on your kegs?

It also shows what's holding down that bail - spot welds on some thin metal. Pictures of Cornelius kegs show a more robust attachment that supports the bail. For those of you that have exprience with both Cornelius and Torpedo, can you comment on the quality differences you note please?

It looks like the protective rubber cap on the bail is worn out and thus the metal is scratching the keg resulting in a rust spot.

Back