Topsy-Turvey Hop Growing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Anyone every tried growing hops in one of those Topsey-Turvey tomato trees like Billy Mays sells on TV ?

My hops last year came up and grew but never really made anything, only one plant out of four came back this spring and I think its pretty much had it.

I was kind of thinking I might try and dig up the last surviving hop plant if it can be salvaged at all and giving it a try in the Topsey-Turvey tomato planter just for ****s and giggles.

haha sounds awesome.. but you would still need about 12' of space above it for the bine to grow. So, the Topsy Turvey wouldn't be put to its best use.

I wonder if the bine would go down, and then turn up on its own ? When you grow tomatos in one of those, they turn and grow up until the fruit starts to come in and weigh them down.

If nothing else, I think it might help with keeping the plant watered and weeded. The watering seems to be the big challenge in Alabama where I live because during the summer even if you go out and soak them in the morning they are bone dry by the time I get home from work to water them again - those 100F+ days just really do a number on them - they don't seem to like that climate at all.

I wonder if the bine would go down, and then turn up on its own ? When you grow tomatos in one of those, they turn and grow up until the fruit starts to come in and weigh them down.

If nothing else, I think it might help with keeping the plant watered and weeded. The watering seems to be the big challenge in Alabama where I live because during the summer even if you go out and soak them in the morning they are bone dry by the time I get home from work to water them again - those 100F+ days just really do a number on them - they don't seem to like that climate at all.

Sounds like you need to set up a drip system on a timer. That way they get a good soaking multiple times a day and simple timers are not that expensive. That's what I'll end up doing. It's supposed to be over 100 this weekend. I like watering them for now because it's the first year and I like checking on them but if I have to go somewhere for a couple of days, I don't want them dying on me because I can't water them.

Back