Topless Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allgrainpa

Reaction score
Considering different keggles designs. Wanting to know if anyone has cut the top off the keggles? If so, how did you create a lid?

This open top design seems appealing? If anyone has cut their kegs this way and have pictures would love to look at them. As always thanks in advance for everyone's insight and opinions.

Do you mean to cut the tops below the handles? I've seen this done but you need to weld on handles. It would get rid of the lip which I find very annoying. I have seen one where they cut most of it below the level of the handles but left them on, which looks a little goofy but probably is functional.

just found a post on here showing open top design with handles placed on it. One draw back I see is that a standard keggle offers approx. 15 gallons and once you cut the top off you are down to approx. 13.5 gallon keggle. The other is the need to place handles but to me this is a minimal issue.

I am looking for others input on lid designs for a keg cut in this fashion. Any ideas are welcome. I am surprised how few posts there are about cutting kegs in this fashion and peoples take on design options.

Are you going to mash in it or just a boil kettle. I cut a hole like many others in the top of mine, but I dont use a lid on it since its just a boil kettle. But I if wanted I do have a lid from a turky fryer setup that I could use as a lid.

no i have 3 kegs that im converting into a HLT, MT and BK. I would not need a lid for the BK but for the HLT and MT i am interested in creating a HERMs system and with a topless keg this would allow for better ease when creating bulkheads. In my case im looking to weld ferrules for the inlet/outlet herms coil. Also need room for thermometer probe, sight level, drain at the bottom, etc.

I will need a lid for the HLT and preferrable something with a good sealing ability for the MT. By cutting the top off the MT dumping the grains would be much easier.

Basically by cutting the top of your kegs your essentially making a 13g +/- brew kettle. Which people are paying good money for on these websites.

If your starting from unmodified kegs then think about cutting the bottom off, and turning them upside down for a bottom drain kettle. It's pretty awesome, and you still have handles.

I did this with my MLT, but I cut at the weld since the skirt was bent to hell. I used this lid, it's a little loose but does the job, something slightly bigger may work better.

Update International ALPC-26 15-1/2" Aluminum Sauce Pot Cover

heres a shot of how i cut mine for bottom drain, i dont plan on moving my pots much once i have them set up so i wasnt thinking about handles.
V4gzioS.jpg

i plan to build a lid out of wood for the mash tun or just get a stock pot lid like MaltyBalls suggested

Why not just cut a large hole in the lid (or bottom if you prefer). That way you don't lose any volume capacity.

You can create a lid easily using the piece you just cut out. Weld four 1" steel solid washers, spaced equally. Done.

Latest posts

Back