Top off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyisstrange

Reaction score
I have a few gallons of cider fermenting and it’s ready for secondary…there has been a little bit of loss of cider and after transferring would it be ok to top off with regular cider? The same brand of cider I used in the primary. Yes

Sure. Understand though, it will restart fermentation to whatever extent it takes to get the top off to the same gravity.

And won't the fermentation cause more trub, which is what you are racking off of? I just wouldn't secondary, myself, even with cider.

Explain!!! Just go into bottles?

My ciders, at 5% ABV, go straight into bottles after about 3-4 weeks. I've made like 5 or 6 batches and that always worked for me. Others may have a different opinion. Secondary with beer is definitely a big no-no, anyways. I've left mead on the cake for six months and it tasted great. I haven't aged a cider that long but I figure it would be about the same.

I vote bottle, if the FG is stable and you gave it some time to clean up. But, again, there may be more experienced people who would say otherwise.

Spring water would not restart fermentation. Or just rack into a smaller container and bottle whatever doesn't fit.

There are many, many commercial ciders that are aged on the lees. The cider is not going to get worse, that's for sure. If you can, age it in one vessel. In addition to being a lot less work, it would be better for the consistency of the flavor once you do bottle or keg or whatever you do with it. I had a cider sit in the fermenter for 8 months and it ended up downright awesome. 3 years later I have about a case left of that same batch. It's really good after 3 winters in the shed aging. Remember cider is a wine more than a beer...simple, slow, and low. The longer the better.

Back