Top-off Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redd1982

Reaction score
Hen is it ok to add top-off water to a brew? And should I boil it prior to adding?

I know this may be a rookie question, but I have never had to do it. I am currently 3/4 low on a batch I plan to pitch this evening. Any help would be great!

Lots of folks only boil about 3 gallons out of every 5 gallon batch, adding 2 gallons of tap water after the wort has been cooled and added to the fermenter.

If you're worried about the quality/cleanliness of the water you could boil it. When I was extract brewing in a smaller brew kettle I topped off all the time. My tap water is filtered though.

There is enough chlorine in tap water that it is almost definitely sanitary, unless something unusual is going on, like your water has not flowed from the main in the street for a long time so you have stagnant water in your pipes and no chlorine left in it, or your pipes or tap have bacteria on them somewhere. That is probably unlikely, sort of like opening a fermentor for a moment is unlikely to let wild yeast or bacteria in and ruin your beer. It is possible, but not likely.

So if you need to top off, dont be too worried about using tap water; it is probably just fine (although it has chlorine in it and won't taste as good maybe). If you want to be positive (or you don't live in a place that has a safe water supply), boil and chill some, or go get some from the store.

So...it's safe to say I can add tap water that has not been boiled to the wort before pitching yeast? I am going to boil it to be on the safe side though. I am coming to the end if my brew day. Don't want to mess this batch up...it's for my daughters bday.

My question is why are you low? Top up water is usually for extract kits designed to boil maybe 2.5 or 3 gallons of wort then add water to get the final volume. If not designed that way you may be diluting your beer. If you are low on volume and your OG is high then top up might be OK.

I never boiled my top up water. 8 extract or partial mash brews.

I have done it a couple times with no problems, I'm sure lots of people have. I also used to work for a water service provider, so I know a little about water treatment. It is almost definitely not going to infect your beer to use tap water (again, unless something on your side does it, but the water itself won't have anything in it that will cause problems in your beer).

But next time, be ready with some bottled water in the fridge, if you want to be totally safe. Personally, the flavor from the treatment chemicals would worry me more than a possible infection.

I was low because I had a terrible brew day. 2 big time boil overs. I ended up only a gal low.

Topping off with cold tap water worked for me for a couple years. Then I started using spring water from the store,moving to sanitizing my own gallon jugs & going to the local source & getting spring water for 25c per gallon. I put a couplr gallons in the fridge a day ot two before brewday. Chill the wort down to 75F,then strain into fermenter & top off with the chilled water to recipe volume. Gets it down to 64F.

So...it's safe to say I can add tap water that has not been boiled to the wort before pitching yeast? I am going to boil it to be on the safe side though. I am coming to the end if my brew day. Don't want to mess this batch up...it's for my daughters bday.

The biggest issue you'll have with tap water is the taste. If your tap water tastes okay there's no reason not to use it. Before I added a filter, my tap water had a strong chlorine taste which can result in band-aid flavors in your beer.

Back