Too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble95

Reaction score
I am making a German Double Bock and I racked it into the secondary too soon. Now foam is bubbling up into the airlock. My wife is afraid that it is going to explode. I told her that she had nothing to worry about. Someone please tell me that I am right.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If it's still bubbling up into the airlock, you could try a blowoff tube. It might help prevent the airlock from clogging. You should be fine in a day or two though, I'm guessing.

As long as it can breathe out you're fine.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry, but you have a decent chance of being wrong. If the krausen is getting into the airlock, it could easily clog and result in a huge mess. I'd rig up a blowoff tube asap - eg jam a tube in the airlock hole and run the other end into some santizer. It's basically a huge airlock without any of the parts that would likely clog.

Of course, you could get lucky and have no clogging issues. It's not something I would bet on with a wife "I told you so" on the line. At the very least, toss it into the bathtub overnight.

FYI - this advice is coming from someone still hearing about an explosion from 2 years ago.

Thanks Bill hooked up a blow off tube.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back