Too much Sediment in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTuna

Reaction score
I've just transferred from primary to secondary and i've noticed I have about 1" of sediment at the bottom of my carboy. I made the mistake of moving my primary downstairs to the kitchen, which in turn stirred up the beer before i transferred it. Now, there was still a ton of sediment at the bottom of my primary but I didn't expect to see so much in the secondary. My question is... How much will this affect the taste of my beer (belgian amber)? Should I re-rack? I don't want to disturb the beer too much, if that's such a thing or introduce to much air into it.

Thanks for your responses

Yes, I'm following a clone of Rare Vos from clone brews. Are you suggesting that it's a good thing to leave 3-4 inches of sediment during conditioning? I've read many things that contradict this. It's my first time brewing but I have helped my buddy on about 3 occasions so it's not that new to me. Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers

There's no harm in it at all. Many (most) around here don't even secondary unless they need fermenter space. We've left beers on yeast cakes for months without problems. Relax and plan your next beer!

Ok, sounds convincing enough for me! I really don't care about the clarity of beer anyway, i'm going to be bottle conditioning after all. Thanks for the advice, have to think of my next brew now... Hmm maybe a pale ale of sorts...we'll see.

I really don't care about the clarity of beer anyway...
There are lots of things that affect clarity - yeast, recipe, techniques - but the amount of trub at the bottom of the fermentor is pretty low on the list. Give it plenty of time to settle out and you'll be fine.

Thanks again. I'm definitely not going to worry about it. Just another 4 weeks until bottling... Man i'm getting thirsty.

Back