too much oak...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heferly

Reaction score
my buddy brewed up an oaked ipa...except i think he ended up using 8 oz of oak chips for 5 gallons for a month, and it came out tasting like a piece of wood :cross: can't taste any hops or malt, just pure oak. hard to choke down, to say the least

he brewed standard beers for about a year, then tried to mix it up a little...guess it didn't work! he's the type to read a few books, hasn't joined a forum or anything, and doesn't seek out any information from others (or learn from their mistakes)...he pulled a recipe from the interwebz somewhere, and ended up making a lemon

i traded him some of my homebrew for a case of his oak beer, just so he wouldn't dump it...wanted to teach him a lesson in waiting it out :ban: although, i think he dumped the other case

i'm wondering how long you think it will take to mellow out. i traded him about a month ago, so i'm guessing he brewed it up sometime in march...i'm thinking maybe crack them open sometime this fall? hopefully this one will get better with time, and i can share with him revvy's vast knowledge on the subject :mug:

There's no equation or anything that can tell you how long the oak will fade...just that it will. All you can do is wait a few weeks and try one, and it will either be mellow or it won't...so you just do it til it's where you want it.

I'm going to do one of these eventually. Only thinking of 3-4oz of oak with maybe 2-3oz of bourbon for the time it takes to ferment before adding it for a week or two. I think that'll be a bit more balanced.?...
But I was also thinking of letting them sit for a few months in the bottles. I'm thinking this will give the flavors more time to meld better. My thoughts,anyway...:mug:

There's no equation or anything that can tell you how long the oak will fade...just that it will. All you can do is wait a few weeks and try one, and it will either be mellow or it won't...so you just do it til it's where you want it.

that i could do...and if it's still woody blend it with another ipa or something

havne't brewed up an oaked anything yet, besides playing around with a half gallon of a stout i'm saving til the winter, so i guess my question is what the typical timeframe is like, even if it's for a normally-oaked brew

Back