too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
Pretty sure i couldn't get my hands on any anyway. But we just move a week ago and the house we bought has a shed with one end would be perfect for a hop trellis. Would i have any luck planting this late?

I disagree. If you can find rhizomes, plant them in containers and get them growing and established before putting them in the ground. If you can't find rhizomes, you can buy crowns year round from companies like Great Lake hops (see their store on Fbok and Ebay). Give them partial sun initially to give them time to get accustomed to your environment.
Hops are pretty tough to kill plants. If you have good soil and have experience with growing plants you can probably start rhizomes in the ground, but else get some good potting mix and start them in containers to give the roots a chance to grow. They need well drained soil, but keep them watered so they don't dry out.

I put three hop crowns in the ground two weeks ago and they are doing good. This is in sunny Arkansas. I figure at the least you'll get a good years worth of root growth, even if you don't get much vine production. It'll at least give you a head start next year. Plus if they do burn up you're not out much.

BTW I started mine in the ground with no fertilizer in good rich well drained soil. I have to water heavy daily due to the current drought we are in. I planted them next to the garden so it's not much more effort. In my experience it's harder to kill a vine than it is to make them grow ;). Here is a pic from a few days ago.

image-1382582128.jpg

Back