Too late for a gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenOfBattle

Reaction score
hey guys, I brewed a one gallon batch last friday and I forgot to take a gravity sample / reading. Is it too late or should I just give it the 3 weeks I was planning on and make sure to get the next batch?

Too late for an OG reading that is for sure. Probably too early for an FG reading as well. I'd let this one go for another week then take an FG reading.

Thanks! I was probably just going to leave it be and make a note for the next batch but since its and extract I am not going to worry too much.

well i took a gravity reading today and got a 1.010. If i checked the chart (that came with the hydrometer) correctly, that would give me a 1.3 ABV does that sound correct?

I think you need to get the OG, and then the FG, and calculate the difference. You can't just use the FG to get the ABV (says the newb :) )

On my first batch, the OG was 1.045, and FG was 1.010, which I calculated to be about 4.7ABV. Is that right?

I think you need to get the OG, and then the FG, and calculate the difference. You can't just use the FG to get the ABV (says the newb :) )

On my first batch, the OG was 1.045, and FG was 1.010, which I calculated to be about 4.7ABV. Is that right?

I think youre right! I blanked on the OG and was shooting in the dark for an ABV, not that it matters much, gonna drink the whole batch regardless. Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back