Too Hot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
I had to ferment my IPA outside my temp controlled fridge. I brewed it Friday. OG 1.067. Yeast is US-05. Now it's sitting there bubbling away but it's up above 80F...and has been all day!! Is it too late to install a swamp cooler to try to get some control over the temperature? I'm thinking it probably is too late, but I don't have a lot of experience in this area... it's been so long that I've been using the fridge to achieve the perfect temps the whole way through the process! :(

I'm no expert but I would try to get it in a cooler environment asap. I had 2 IPAs using 1056 that got up to the mid to high 70s the first couple days of fermentation and they both over attenuated and developed some nasty alcohol smells and tastes. Almost 3 months later and they still aren't drinkable.

I did the same on my first batch. Cooled it as soon as I could. It tasted off when taking gravity readings to determine it was done. Per advice I left it in primary for 18 days then racked to secondary and left it there 28 days. It tasted much better. I plan on leaving it alone in the bottles at least 4 weeks.

Yeah it's on its way. I had a bucket of iodophor left over, soaking a blowoff tube in case I needed it for the other batch. I dumped that into a big rubbermaid container and filled a bunch of 20 oz diet coke bottles with water and put them in the freezer. Tomorrow will add the ice to get the temperature down. Better late than never I guess. Not sure why I didn't start it out this way. Hopefully I don't stunt the fermentation and end up underattenuated plus with the bad byproducts.

maybe I'll double the dry hops to mask the off flavors!

Latest posts

Back