Too hot a mash then BOTTLE BOMBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstojk

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, about 10 batches, last 3 have been BIAB. I did a Kama Citra and got the mash too hot-160 and ended up with unfermentable sugars. O.G .045 and F.G. .020. Let it sit for almost 4 weeks in the fermenter. The final week saw no change in the gravity so I bottled. 5 oz. of corn sugar to 5 gals.
Its been about 2 weeks and I've had about 5-6 bombs the last couple of days. I'm thinking the added sugar activated all the starving yeast, and they're coming on strong. Chilled one and it tastes great but the foam fills the glass and empties the bottle. Tried burping but the CO2 volume is too great. Burping at room temp seems better. Not enough room in my fridge to store it all but even then it'll be way over carbonated. Any ideas? I saw something about pasteurizing on this forum, but I'm leery about handling the bottles. It would be such a waste of time and money to just dump it. How about burping them and letting them vent for a while, 24 hours or so? If I only knew how important the mashing temp was when I started!

Thanks, so then it might be too much priming or not enough time in the fermenter I guess. What about the F.G. being so high?

I think I would just let this one go, based on what you've said. You're likely to lose an eye while you're fussing with all those bottles on the verge of explosion.

Thanks, so then it might be too much priming or not enough time in the fermenter I guess. What about the F.G. being so high?

Yeah, you primed fairly heavily and you probably weren't at FG. Helps to bring the fermenter up to room temperature for awhile to see if you can squeeze a few more points out of it.

I'll venture a guess that your priming sugar was unevenly distributed and that some bottles will be undercarbonated while others explode.

At what temperature did you ferment? If all of the bottles are equally overcarbonated, perhaps you simply fermented too cold, and therefore very slowly, resulting in too high an SG at bottling time.

Another possibility is infection by a strain of bacteria that is capable of processing complex sugars that are not fermentable by Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Mash temp has nothing to do with complete fermentation.

Thanks guys, The ferment temp was around 73 and I dissolved the sugar in some boiled water cooled and mixed it well. I'm in S.Florida, nice and warm. I removed the bottles to my shed where maybe the warmer temps will speed up the process and if they're gonna go, let em go. The ones that don't blow should be OK right?

Chilled them all down, had eye protection of course, and threw a party....outside!
All gone! Thanks for the help guys. I think improper mixing was the culprit.
Another lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back