Too cold to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxomophone

Reaction score
After bottling my last two batches of beer I immediately put the bottles in my basement where it is usually around 60 degrees or colder. After almost 3 weeks my beer is pretty much flat.

So my questions are:
Do I need to move the beer upstairs or will I be waiting for spring before the beer carbonates?
Did I somehow miss a window of opportunity with the residual yeast that would make the carbonation, or will it kick back in if the beer warms up?

Thanks!

Really depends on the happy temperature range of the yeast you used... If it works well at 60F and lower, then it could be ok to carbonate in those temps... Most of us try to keep the bottles at 70F for ~3 weeks for carbonation. But, you can also do it closer to 65F for 3-4 weeks. Warmer than 70F, like closer to 75F can work, but should take less time. I would keep it closer to the temp that the wort fermented at, if it was me. Or at least in the ~70F range.

If you have room out of the basement, where it's a bit warmer, I would carbonate there. You can always store them in the basement once carbonation is complete.

As long as you didn't freeze the yeast, they'll wake back up soon after you move them to someplace warmer... Give them a few days to get up to room temp, then let them rest for 2-3 weeks before chilling one bottle down and trying it.

Back