Too bitter in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I just tapped a keg of my latest attempt at an IPA. My last ipa's have fallen short in bitterness. I upped my late additions quite a bit but didn't go nuts with ibu's. The beer warm and uncarbed tastes great but after cold crashing and carbing its way to bitter. Any explanation as to why this is?

Was that the first pour from the keg?
And how did you carb the beer? Slow, fast, natural?

Cheers!

Its been about 4 pours now about 12oz each. I didn't have room in the kegorator when I kegged it so I hit it with 30 psi and let it sit a week then topped it to 30 the next week and let it sit then when I had room I put it in the keg on 12 at 42f for a week. I guess I would say slow but I followed the psi for temp for set and forget type carbing.

It's possible that you're getting a carbonic acid bite. If you let it sit chilled 7-10 days at serving pressure, that should fade away. If it doesn't, then it's some other cause.

Starting to think my taste is out if wack, today I get way more Carmel flavor and way less bitter wtf!

Well, maybe it's not you.

Excessive Carbonic Acid "bite" tends to diminish over time. Maybe the keg was just "on the edge" in that respect and it has now attenuated enough to let you appreciate the other characters of the brew...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back