Today's score, new 13.5 gallon fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgasdude

Reaction score
It's hdpe plastic, has a seal on the plug, and it held dr. Pepper. Thinking I might just put a better bottle racking valve in it and be done!

image-1286357157.jpg

image-3184716090.jpg

I have 11 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde bubbling in almost the same thing that the LHBS used to dispense bulk LME out of. It had about 5lbs of extract that some patience got out and made a lot of yeast starter. There is a second port that has 3/4 NPT on top that I use for a blowoff tube. I just use a long copper pipe/stopper for the big hole and push beer out with CO2. Racking valve would be better I think. Post up your results!

That sounds like a good idea, are you talking about one from a bottling bucket? Also I forgot to mention that this beast only set me back 7.50!:ban:

I got one for free from my LHBS. They get them all the time and toss them anyway. I stuffed a 1" tube in the smaller hole for a blow off and capped the other.

Not to poop on your parade..... My only batch I ever dumped was one fermented in that same container. It had Dr. Pepper syrup in it, I used it after MULTIPLE cleanings. The beer still had a nasty Dr. Pepper smell and flavor. I immediately chucked it in the trash.

_

Not to poop on your parade..... My only batch I ever dumped was one fermented in that same container. It had Dr. Pepper syrup in it, I used it after MULTIPLE cleanings. The beer still had a nasty Dr. Pepper smell and flavor. I immediately chucked it in the trash.

_

Aww hell, well I'll just have to figure out something else to use this baby for. Might still try to get the smell out.

I have some 55G drums that had hawaiian punch concentrate. Tried bicarb of sodium, percarb of sodium, and hot water for 1 week. They've been used for solar hot water storage for 8 years, and filled and dumped hundreds of times. They still reek of hawaiian punch. Good luck.

For what it's worth, the one I got from my LHBS which was used to ship LME cleaned out fine with no lingering odors.

_

Aww hell, well I'll just have to figure out something else to use this baby for. Might still try to get the smell out.

You could always go for a brand new one that has never been used for anything else.... $31.55 at US Plastics, shop around for a better price.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23849&catid=459

For what it's worth, the one I got from my LHBS which was used to ship LME cleaned out fine with no lingering odors.

Sure, but LME doesn't permeate into the plastic like Dr. Pepper does. Lots of people get these from their lhbs, and they work great.

_

Keep that for making Dr. Pepper beer?

Reminds me of magic coffee...where you use dr. pepper instead of water when brewing coffee. The quote was, "Once you brew magic coffee, your coffee maker always brews magic coffee."

I have 11 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde bubbling in almost the same thing that the LHBS used to dispense bulk LME out of. It had about 5lbs of extract that some patience got out and made a lot of yeast starter. There is a second port that has 3/4 NPT on top that I use for a blowoff tube. I just use a long copper pipe/stopper for the big hole and push beer out with CO2. Racking valve would be better I think. Post up your results!

I just picked up a couple of these from BrewTensils and I'm curious about how you set them up. I just started brainstorming how I was going to rack the beer from this thing. Using CO2 to push the beer into kegs sounds like an excellent idea. Do you have any pics you could post?

The extract in the bottom is a nice bonus!

Hey okgasdude, I just seen your from ok. Im in Bartlesville, where are you at? And how is your 71st. wheat? Just bought the kit last week and im brewing it up today?

Hey okgasdude, I just seen your from ok. Im in Bartlesville, where are you at? And how is your 71st. wheat? Just bought the kit last week and im brewing it up today?

Sweet, Sooners unite!!! I'm in Cookson, on lake Tenkiller. The 71st is great, it's my 2nd go at it. The first was extract, and the 2nd was a double extract full boil. Got my all grain in full swing now so 2nd on my list of brews will be an all grain 71st due to this keg being almost empty!!

Back