Toasted Malted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymonkey

Reaction score
I'm brewing a batch today based on one of Beirmuncher's award winning recipes and it calls for 2.5lbs of Toasted Malt -2-row.

I toasted it this morning and got my starter all prepped. Then I happen to read in one of my books that I shouldn't' use it for two weeks. Is this true?

I've asked in the thread I got the recipe from as well. EVeryone that's brewed it raves about it, and nobody mentions waiting for two weeks after toasting so hopefully it will be okay.

Can anyone recommend a good substitute in the event that I can't use it this evening?

It depends how darkly you roasted it. I've done some munich-level toasts and used them right away. For darker roasts, the flavors smooth with time, so if it's dark brown or black I'd let it rest a few weeks if you can. I store it in a paper bag when resting, so it can off-gas.

I've brewed a few batches with home toasted malt that I did the same day, and they were fine. I can imagine maybe if it were real dark toasted, there might be some extra bitterness. But I betcha you won't notice once it's all conditioned.

Thanks! This was a very light roast, fifteen minutes at 350, stirred three times so it sounds like im good to go. Thanks again :)

Back