To squeeze the fruit bag or not?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I recently added a bag of blended raspberries to a sour beer i have fermenting. Added in a large hop bag into the bucket fermenter when primary fermentation was almost done.

I was going to give it about a week to ferment out... And wait until SG is stable. I use a tilt (and have a spigot) so i dont have to open and expose to air to check SG.

I usually do closed transfers to a purged keg. So i never expose beer directly to ai. I usually spund as well.

I'd like to get as much of the raspberry flavor as possible. Should I opened the fermenter and let bag hang above fermenter and squeeze it to get all the juice out when fermentation is done?

The main issue here is this exposes beer to air. I don't have any hops in this beer ane I'm not even sure if i will dry hop or not. So probably wouldn't be a big issue in terms of oxidation if i purged the keg after transfer.

What you all think?

I gave my peach bag a squeeze in my last peach sour after 1 week and one day before bottling day when I removed the peach bag. No issues for me that I could detect except my wife rolling her eyes when I kept announcing that I had to go to the basement to “squeeze the peaches”. 😬

Dan

I gave my peach bag a squeeze in my last peach sour after 1 week and one day before bottling day when I removed the peach bag. No issues for me that I could detect except my wife rolling her eyes when I kept announcing that I had to go to the basement to “squeeze the peaches”. 😬

Dan
Haha. I'm going to steal that line.... Looks like I'll be squeezing the ol' berry bag.

Back