To extract or not to extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alliloop

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, so I'm a big fan of Abita's Purple Haze, so of course it was only a matter of time before I went for a raspberry wheat kit. (I'm still new at this.) I should have come on here sooner to read up on what all of you have to say, but... I didn't. So, here I am asking this:

I'm a week away from the end of my second fermentation and bottling.

Should I go ahead with the extract at the time of bottling? If so, how much of the 4 oz. extract should I use for 5 gallons (give or take) to just have a "hint" of raspberry flavor?

OR

Can I still add 1 lb (from what I'm reading here) of frozen raspberries (or some puree) and just let it hang out in the carboy a lil longer? If so... how long ya think?

As always, thanks. I think after this, I'm gunna have to start learning up on actual recipes instead of kits.

- Alliloop

I've never used fruit, so take this with a grain of salt....but I would use the fruit instead of the extract (again, from everything I've read/heard about fruit flavoring/extracts). There is no problem in extending the time in secondary - it will be fine.

Back