To dry hop or not ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
An English Special / Best bitter,(The bitter End ESB - brew monkey)
5 gallon A/G batch in the primary now for 3 weeks and am going to keg it
after 4 weeks (or 5 ?) anyway I have 1 oz. of mixed hops(Golding East Kent
and fuggles) left over, and I varied from the recipe 's hop additions by going
with 1 oz. at 60 min of Goldings East Kent's and 2 oz. of Fuggles and 1 oz.
of Goldings East Kent at flame out. So I have a mesh bag and some marbles
just boiled and was wondering if this style of ale could only get better or should
I just leave it alone and wait ?

Thanks everyone.

No harm in dry hopping,probably not esb technical style, but it will not hurt at all. do it.It can only make it better,whats to lose. Good lord dry hop the shat out of it.

many esb's are dry hopped. i usually don't dry hop english bitters, but i have, and i plan to with my next. i think goldings are one of the nicer hops to dry hop a beer with. they work great in smaller amounts (1/2 to maybe an oz) in a bitter.

+1 to goldings for esb.Plus who doesnt want homebrew to crap "awesome" in their mouth!? Totally! Amen!

Before finding this post I dry hopped a special bitter with some fuggles. Was on the fence for a few days about this but couldn't stand having an extra ounce of hops staring at me every time I opened the fridge.

Let us know how it turns out and I'll do the same.

Hops keep more of their AA% in the freezer longer. A little dry hopping in this case would be ok. Just don't over do it.

Latest posts

Back