Tips for buying a new TV regarding delivery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Woohoo, the wife gave the thumbs up to get a new one. Seems like all stores have the same prices, and none mention much about delivery.

Ideally, I'd like to have it brought to my basement, the stand installed (won't be a wall mount), and set on the console. Ideally they can take the old one away to properly recycle it.

Is it standard across companies to do this, or do you folks know any that do?

Best Buy, BHPhoto, Crutchfield, Amazon, Target... all are options. As are likely other places as well. We don't have any more mom& pop stores around.

In these interesting times I would not count on any past paradigm prevailing. Call and ask.
From your list there's a decent chance that Best Buy could accommodate most of your asks assuming they're local.
I doubt any others on the list would...

Cheers! (And good luck!)

Best Buy is the only place I've found with the policies on their site. Looks like free delivery to a room of your choice and a $99 fee to haul off the old one. It's an old plasma showing its age but maybe I'll aim for giving it away locally for free.

I'll do more research of course, just hoped someone else had done this recently.

Last edited:
Best Buy is the only place I've found with the policies on their site. Looks like free delivery to a room of your choice and a $99 fee to haul off the old one. It's an old plasma showing its age but maybe I'll aim for giving it away locally for free.

I'll do more research of course, just hoped someone else had done this recently.

I got an 86" delivered by Best Buy during the panicdemic. Their "white glove delivery" included dropping it on my porch and running away. I'm pretty sure it's better than that now :)

The nice thing about all the LCD TVs is that they're very light. Not like your old plasma which might be 40#, or like the old CRTs that would be both heavy and bulky at larger screen sizes.

So I'd worry less about getting the new one installed as getting the old one hauled away...

...but offering it free on Craigslist to anyone who is willing to provide the muscle to take it away is usually pretty easy to get.

The nice thing about all the LCD TVs is that they're very light. Not like your old plasma which might be 40#, or like the old CRTs that would be both heavy and bulky at larger screen sizes.

So I'd worry less about getting the new one installed as getting the old one hauled away...

...but offering it free on Craigslist to anyone who is willing to provide the muscle to take it away is usually pretty easy to get.

Generally, this is true. I've hung several up to 65" by myself. This recent 86" LCD, though, was HEAVY. They must have had extra metal in there or something. Literally, it was 100#.

Can't you unpack and set it up yourself? Maybe with some help, from a neighbor, nephew, ...?

The stand probably mounts with a few screws. They include instructions on all that.
Although much smaller, I had our two 32" computer monitors up and running in about an hour, last year. Now wishing for 42"... ;)

We were at Costco's, and couldn't help looking at the TVs as we walked in, although there's nothing wrong (knocking on wood) with our 13 year old 52" 1080p Sony that ran around the same price then as a 72-84" 4K does now.

I do need to educate myself on OLED, QLED,* etc. and accompanying hype. Although the demos looked splendid of course (they always do), I prefer fidelity over super-saturation. And good, solid black levels, not mere charcoal.

* I thought real OLED (light emitting color elements) is still utopia.

I do have resources, I'm quite handy and tech savvy as well. Also have friends and neighbors. As well as my wife but up to a weight limit I haven't really explored. It's not at all something that I can't do, it'd just be convenient to have it done for me. I'm hoping one of the sellers might try to win the business with such a service.

If not, I'll still get the job done. It'd just be nice to stand back and watch it if it's offered (for free). I hoped someone knew of a place from recent experience that did do it. Looks like I'll have to check each business in that regard, which is OK.

Watch out if you are going to have it delivered to your doorstep. I bought a TV last year. It was one of the new type of screens that are not forgiving of bumps or forces put on it. I actually watched on the camera as the FedEx guy tossed it the last 3 feet to my doorstep. Screen was shattered completely when I opened the box.

I got the money fully refunded. But I chose to go get one myself and pick up personally. Certainly if what you are talking about is having the store deliver and install it for you then this won't be an issue.

I've had other types of displays and TV delivered via FedEx, UPS, USPS and it was no big deal. But their screen type was more forgiving of being tossed around by delivery guys and gals.

It just so happens that I have a service coming this week to haul away a old 36" CRT that weighs 250#, as well as some furniture. It is not just the weight, it is the distribution and lack of a good place to grip it with hands.
When we replaced the TV with a newer LED model several years ago I was able to move it to the basement. I cannot move it back up myself so I am paying to have it gone! I should have done this back then but I thought it still works, might as well keep it.
Dumb idea, what was I thinking :smh:

Hahaha! That sounds right. My BIL had a 36", we had the 40" model. The mass of glass on that beast was epic :rock:
We loved it right up to the point we had to negotiate its removal from the premises.
Replaced it with a 65" Sony. Still have it...

Cheers!

The wife and I got an LG OLED from Best Buy last year, it is super thin, could almost shave with it, and it was a display model we got it for about half price. It took a little bit of adjusting the 1000 different settings but the pic is amazing but plan on getting a sound bar or a surround sound system.

Sony?
We had one that took two people to deliver...and two other people to haul out years later...

Cheers!
My brother works for Sony, Playstation division, and they had a clearance store at the Stanford Shopping center out here in California. He talked me into a really cool, at the time, Sony TV with Surround sound and all that crap. I got that TV home and it weighed a ton. i was much younger then and still almost dropped my stones trying to pick it up. Doesn't do much for the OP, but reminded me of how much I hated my brother that day. LOL.

The Sony KV-40XBR800 weighed 300 pounds and came with a stand rated for 350. Add a cable box and a VCR of the era on the shelves and you were closing in on that stand rating :)

1668647709348.png

Cheers!

The wife and I got an LG OLED from Best Buy last year, it is super thin, could almost shave with it, and it was a display model we got it for about half price. It took a little bit of adjusting the 1000 different settings but the pic is amazing but plan on getting a sound bar or a surround sound system.
OLED is the way to go. Better in most ways to LCD (which includes QLED and every other "LED" tv). If you want great shadow detail / contrast / dark scene details, it's better by far.

i'm not sure how this thread got so off topic, if you want delivery ask a buddy with a truck, if you want installation. ask a couple buddies, and buy a twelver as payment! you got the brains!

1668716044534.png

yes i'm young and remember these...but that's not going to help tracer get his tv 'installed' ...hoisted, onto the console table...maybe ask a friend to help and a couple of these...

1668716340676.png

looking at the picture, i don't think your buddies smile would be anymore sincere!!!! 🤣

Last edited:
i'm not sure how this thread got so off topic, if you want delivery ask a buddy with a truck, if you want installation. ask a couple buddies, and buy a twelver as payment! you got the brains!

View attachment 792027

yes i'm young and remember these...but that's not going to help tracer get his tv 'installed' hoisted onto the console table...maybe ask a friend to help and a couple of these...

Sounds like good advice.
Plus you get to drink beer with your buddies.

Ordered it. Samsung 65" S95B QD OLED, direct from their site. Same sale price as everywhere else plus free install with the delivery. I didn't have to have install, but I'll take it since it was offered. If the TV is delivered, well, let's get r dun.

Latest posts

Back