Tipping on Homebrew Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our local homebrew supply shop is a combination taproom/homebrew supply. The bar tender gets the grain, etc. Normally it’s not customary to tip for homebrew supplies, but since this is also a taproom and the bar tender gets the grain, I think it might be appropriate to tip. Any opinions in this?

The curmudgeonly answer: I would consider if the person is providing some service above and beyond what someone in their position would normally do, and if not, the answer is usually no. I think the tipping thing in the U.S. has been getting out of control, especially post-Covid. I see tip jars all over: in grocery stores, gift shops, auto shops, etc.

The nice-guy answer: if you go there a lot, you like the people and you want to show some gratitude (which is basically the definition of "gratuity"), and you know that the employee pockets ALL of the tip, then by all means drop a buck or two. Follow your heart. Just do it. I'd probably do so if I were in your shoes.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm assuming it is because it is all on the same system, but it is kind of irritating. There is a taproom, connected to the hombrew store. I get the tipping part for the taproom, although if you're going to have the personality of cardboard even when it is not busy, I'd rather just reach over and pour the damn beer for myself.....

The home-brew store defaults to 18%, and that is the lowest amount. Which..is annoying as all get out. Unless...I email in the order and somebody takes the time to have my order prepped for me when I arrive with an extra set of happiness on my part if they actually managed to pay attention and NOT mill the damn grain. Especially on the occasion when I've emailed in an order and I put something like

********DO NOT MILL********** in the body and/or subject of the email. 😶

Now when I go in myself, measure it all out, write out the order, read it back to you so you can push the appropriate buttons and take my money? Uh..that's your job, I'm not tipping you.

I feel like this is similar to when you buy a t-shirt/hat at a brewery, which my wife and I do regularly. The tablet thing all breweries use always includes my $40-$60 in shirts when it auto calculates the tip. I'm not tipping $15 just cause I got shirts with my 2 beers. So annoying to have to hit the "custom amount" and do the math myself but that's what I end up doing. Would be the same in LHBS. No tip on ingredients.

During the pandemic I got use to not going out and therefore not having to tip. It actually felt pretty dang good. This whole tipping business has gotten so out of control. Now they hound you for a tip on a carry out pizza! I can see tipping on a delivery because the driver is using his own car. I'm sick and tired of these bartenders always whining about their tips even knowing that I have better beer at home without an already over inflated price! I am a retired healthcare professional, why didn't I demand a tip when I was busy saving peoples lives?

People will get away with murder if you let them.

DMF.

I’ve been out of the all-grain brewing business for the last ten years and just getting back into it - maybe I’m overestimating how much work is involved in weighing and crushing grain. Is it labor intensive, or mostly automated?

I see the tip right there when I pay with a credit card. Annoying. Same thing at a ball game.

There's a "push back" meme on tipping that is starting to "make the rounds":

New Rule: If I order standing up, I'm not tipping.

For every rule, there can be exceptions.

For me, at tap rooms, tasting rooms, and food trucks, my base tip rate (2024) is $1 per item (glass, growler fill, flight, plate) per person. I'll tip extra if I don't have to get the food or clean the table. I'll also tip extra for interesting discussion (even if I've heard it before).

tip on the beer. not the merchandise. Same with buying a t-shirt or logo pint glass or anything elsse non food/beverage.

I'll pick up a sack of grain, and a few pints...I pay for the grain and then open a tab for my stay.

When the entitlement mafia is sleeping, do not poke it with a stick.

When I'm in a non-tipping situation, and they make me indicate the tip while someone stares, I write a big zero and count on them to get over it.

Tipping is for service. Sales is not service.

A drinking customer is paying for the ambience. The AC. The music. A guy buying grain and walking out is paying for a product.

Many interesting comments - thanks. The majority opinion seems to be no tipping for home brewing supplies. After careful consideration, I decided that weighing and crushing the grain is at least similar to getting a drink in terms of the bar tender’s involvement. And while normally it wouldn’t be appropriate to tip for brewing supplies, I think the fact that the bar tender takes time from his/her other duties to get the grain makes this an exception. I'll be tipping when I buy grain at this combination taproom/homebrew supply.

I do think tipping is out of control - it’s unfortunate that it ever got started. IMO the cost of all the service should be built into the price. Done.

Many interesting comments - thanks. The majority opinion seems to be no tipping for home brewing supplies. After careful consideration, I decided that weighing and crushing the grain is at least similar to getting a drink in terms of the bar tender’s involvement. And while normally it wouldn’t be appropriate to tip for brewing supplies, I think the fact that the bar tender takes time from his/her other duties to get the grain makes this an exception. I'll be tipping when I buy grain at this combination taproom/homebrew supply.

I do think tipping is out of control - it’s unfortunate that it ever got started. IMO the cost of all the service should be built into the price. Done.
Tipping is a reward for doing EXCELLENT or EXTRA service.
If you have to do it for ordinary (required) sales service then it is just an unwritten part of the stated price tag.
You get charged for the grain and the service of grinding and packaging it. This is the basic ingredients/service you get charged for on the price tag. Unless you have a self service option?

Tip if the sales guy goes over and above to do something unusual (double grind just for you) or extra (helps you with a problem or checks your recipe etc).

Do you tip the worker at the grocery store or deli? Or is their service part of the price tag for selling you the product?

But then again tipping is different in Canada.

Tipping is a reward for doing EXCELLENT or EXTRA service.
If you have to do it for ordinary (required) sales service then it is just an unwritten part of the stated price tag.
Absolutely. That's why "I do think tipping is out of control - it’s unfortunate that it ever got started. IMO the cost of all the service should be built into the price. Done." And on second thought, that should have had three exclamation points after it!!! Don't get me started!!! Really!!!

Back