Tip of the day. Check your floss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al_anderson311

Reaction score
Had a DOH! moment yesterday. I've had a pale ale in the keg for about two weeks, it was carbonated but had an odd tart/sweet flavor to it. (need to get better control of my ferment temps). After reading many posts on here about it I decided to dry hop with some cascade. Multiple people had said to tie floss to the bag of hops when putting it into the keg so that is what I did. Now I have never dry hopped before and was curious how quickly I would start tasting the effects so I pulled a small glass and it had a terrible indescribable taste. I freaked out and removed the hops right away came back a couple hours later and the beer tasted like it had originally with that tart/sweet taste. After researching it all again I decided to try the same procedure but to let it sit longer with the dry hops. After putting another bag of hops in the keg I came back the next day and found that same terrible taste. Again I removed the hops and the beer went back to it's original taste. I was so confused. Well today I was thinking about it and had an epiphany. I ran into the bathroom and checked my floss and sure enough it was mint flavored. I wasn't picking up any mint in the beer but am pretty sure that was the culprit. Thankfully the beer is ok. I decided on the third go round to dry hop to just throw the bag of hops in the keg without the string. Suprising, no off flavor.

Latest posts

Back