Tiny Brew - Sparge water only setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boasist

Reaction score
Hello,

So I brew on a grainfather and it works great for me. I'd like to build a brew stand soon that houses a pot that is heated via electric that will sparge for me, and then a mount for the CFC and then I'll fashion some tubing to go to the chronical.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the low level electric setup? I'm literally only doing sparge water with a small pump and sparge arm, so it doesn't have to be a crazy. Just enough to heat 5 gallons of water to 170 tops.

Thank you.

Pick up a 24qt stock pot, aluminum will work fine for sparge water, and fit it with a water heater element from the big blue or orange store near you, get an inkbird controller/SSR/sensor combo on amazon, and Bob's your uncle.

shopping list.jpg

Thanks, JayJay, so I just need a step bit to drill through the pot, and I'm good?

you'll need a step bit, drill, drilling oil, cord/plug for the heating element, an enclosure for the pid, etc. this will add to cost.

if you want the super-easy route, consider the grainfather sparge water heater. take it out of the box, use it. i would recommend a separate thermometer to confirm the temp.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/grainfather-sparge-water-heater-p4082.aspx

you'll need a step bit, drill, drilling oil, cord/plug for the heating element, an enclosure for the pid, etc. this will add to cost.

if you want the super-easy route, consider the grainfather sparge water heater. take it out of the box, use it. i would recommend a separate thermometer to confirm the temp.

I'd definitely go this route; the enclosure, plugs, cords, etc will easily run over $100. It's easy to underestimate how much all that adds up to. The step bit alone is $10. The grainfather sparge heater is all stainless and comes with a warranty. Tho I do recall seeing a special deal about a month ago someplace offering a 10g sparge water setup ready to go other than temp controller for $69 but I can't find the link.

Two other options that are even easier.

1. Assuming the GF has enough volume, just heat all your brewing water to strike temp in it, remove the sparge water by transferring it to a cooler, dough in with what's left in the GF and sparge with the water in the cooler when it's time.

2. Sparge with room temp water.

I would say that TexasWine's idea is brilliant.
You can heat enough water for sparge and partial mash water. Heat the water to 170, and transfer sparge water to a cooler. Add cold water to get your striking temperature and volume. The GF should have enough volume to do this. If more water is needed, you can just heat the water to higher temperature, so more cold water will be added.

You might also be able to find something almost identical searching craigslist for catering coffee urns and similar, although all the ones local to me seem to be 40 cups, or 2.5 gallon.

Another option is a BrewHardware Hot Rod in a cooler, which you could also use to assist the boil in the Grainfather after sparging.

Awesome feedback everyone. Thank you. I already use a sous vide system to heat my water, and I'm looking for the next level, I feel this is it. I also have a full woodshop in my basement next the brewery so tools are of no issue.

I'm looking to automate the brew process a little further, so to have a separate kettle, pump, and sparge arm would allow me to just hit a switch after I pull up the grain basket and keep busy elsewhere in the shop.

Although I suppose I could just get the grainfather sparge heater, tap a whole in there, and continue the setup as I envisioned.

Or I could just sparge with room temp water and travel the world a little more...

Choices are a beautiful thing.

Look at CraftBeerPi if you are looking to automate - it's about the same price to get going as e.g. the Auber controllers, but will be much more adaptable in the future.

I'm looking for something similar, and one thing the OP was looking for is missing from all off these replies - a pump. Something like the grain father or hot water urn with a pump would be perfect. Anybody done this to a hot water urn already?

Why that pump? I spent a lot of time looking for a pump at a reasonable price, and I considered that one from greatbreweh but I ended up buying the keg king mark II from williams brewing for $65 shipped; it's a real 110v pump that will grow with your system. I think it's a lot of power for biab recirc but I'd rather have to throttle back those extra ponies than not have them at all, especially for such a great price. Mine came with a polysulfone head but I'm looking at upgrading it to a stainless head for $29 for the added strength not to mention the pure bling factor. Bargainfittings.com just started carrying this pump WITH the SS head for $89. If they had that deal when I was looking to buy I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. Its an awesome pump at such a great price, why bother with plastic 12v pumps? There are better places to cut corners than your pump.

20170622_204054.jpg

download_20170723_000351.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back