timing the steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well_bucket_brews

Reaction score
i know this is probably an open-ended question, and a topic of much debate.. but what is a common timing technique for the brewing process.. im in the process of acquiring the equipment to start my first brew, but i wanted to be as knowledgeable going into it.

primary = 2-3 weeks?
secondary = 2-3 weeks?
bottle = 2-3 weeks?

i guess it probably depends on the ingredients and yeast that im using?

thanks!

Typical primary is about 3 weeks to get down to a stable Fg & allow the beer to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. For a regular beer without fruit,oaking,etc,a secondary isn't needed. But you can do one if you want. Just make sure the beer is at FG before racking to secondary. Let it settle out clear or slightly misty for an average of 3-7 days.
Then leave in bottles around 70F or a bit higher for an average of 3 weeks. Then fridge for a week on average to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

OG= original gravity (pre-ferment)

FG= final gravity (post ferment)

+1 on what unionrdr said about most batches not needing a secondary. Primary to FG, cold crash to 38*F if you can, and go to the priming/bottling bucket.

Back